Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WOTTUR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
I have this problem with Quicksilver G4. I was listening to music like I usually do while geting read for my classes I had for the day. So while getting ready I noticed the music had stopped. So when I looked the computer the infamous restart screen with all different languages came up, which rarely happens, but when it does I just restart the computer like normal. But this time when it rebooted. I took forever to get passed the grey loading screen, but then just went on to a blue screen and my mouse was visible that was it. So i tryed restarting the computer in safe mode by holding down shift, but the computer just automatically turns off by itself. So I got fed up trying to get i going again and called Mac Support. What the guy told me was is that I'm gonna have to try a reinstall my operating system and if that doesn't work then i can be hard ware problem (which I hope not). So after this long explanation haha...these are my questions....

1. If reinstalling Tiger, will I lose my iformation and programs?(i.e. iTunes and all my music like 20 gigs worth, Photoshop CS3, Powerpoint and etc.)

2. Is there any other solutions around this with out having to reinstall Tiger?

Thanks, Any input would help.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I have this problem with Quicksilver G4. I was listening to music like I usually do while geting read for my classes I had for the day. So while getting ready I noticed the music had stopped. So when I looked the computer the infamous restart screen with all different languages came up, which rarely happens, but when it does I just restart the computer like normal. But this time when it rebooted. I took forever to get passed the grey loading screen, but then just went on to a blue screen and my mouse was visible that was it. So i tryed restarting the computer in safe mode by holding down shift, but the computer just automatically turns off by itself. So I got fed up trying to get i going again and called Mac Support. What the guy told me was is that I'm gonna have to try a reinstall my operating system and if that doesn't work then i can be hard ware problem (which I hope not). So after this long explanation haha...these are my questions....

1. If reinstalling Tiger, will I lose my iformation and programs?(i.e. iTunes and all my music like 20 gigs worth, Photoshop CS3, Powerpoint and etc.)

2. Is there any other solutions around this with out having to reinstall Tiger?

Thanks, Any input would help.

A number of things come to mind like
1. Corrupted PRAM or
2. Disk Corruption or a failing disk drive.

First I would try resetting the PRAM:
At the startup chime, hold down (and keep holding) the command-option-p-r keys until you hear the third chime. Then let go of the keys.

See if your system starts up normally. Otherwise do the next step.

Second, try booting off of the Tiger DVD. If it boots into the installer, select English and stop there. Go to the Utilities Menu and select Disk Utility. Select your internal disk drive (if it is not in the list you are screwed as it has probably failed) and run Repair volume. I would also Fix permissions as well. When done reboot.

HTH

WOTTUR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
A number of things come to mind like
1. Corrupted PRAM or
2. Disk Corruption or a failing disk drive.

First I would try resetting the PRAM:
At the startup chime, hold down (and keep holding) the command-option-p-r keys until you hear the third chime. Then let go of the keys.

See if your system starts up normally. Otherwise do the next step.

Second, try booting off of the Tiger DVD. If it boots into the installer, select English and stop there. Go to the Utilities Menu and select Disk Utility. Select your internal disk drive (if it is not in the list you are screwed as it has probably failed) and run Repair volume. I would also Fix permissions as well. When done reboot.

HTH

So after I reset the PRAM, will it take longer than normal to get trhough the grey loading screen o should it take about the same amount of time?

Well if reseting the PRAM doesn't work I will have to get back to ya later, because I had to have Mac send me a new Tiger DVD because I had moved not too long ago but I lost my original in the process.
But thanks for the tips and hopefully all works out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.