Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
A few months ago I purchased an original ibook (tangerine) to use as a back up machine and just out of curiosity. When I received the ibook it was running the latest version of Panther. I have found myself using the laptop more and more and recently the 3 gb hard drive has become extremely tight. Therefore I am going to upgrade to a 40 gb hard drive. I've searched this forum and founds mentions of "firmware updates etc" I want to reinstall Panther on the new hard drive. Is there going to be any problems since the ibook originally ran OS 9? Am I going to be able to just install Panther on the new HD or do I have to do something else? Thanks in advance! :D

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Should reinstall just fine.

If you have an external drive case, you could also use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the current internal drive onto the new drive (plugged in externally.)

Or you could even use an OS X install disc and run Disk Utility and use it's copy disk function. (That's how I got Tiger installed on my PowerBook G3 Lombard that isn't officially supported. I installed it on the drive while it was plugged into my eMac externally, then 'cloned' the drive onto the PowerBook's internal drive using the Panther install disc.)

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Thanks for the help :) This is a dumb question but is firmware separate from the hard drive? I was worried about losing firmware updates.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
ceruleanventure said:
Thanks for the help :) This is a dumb question but is firmware separate from the hard drive? I was worried about losing firmware updates.
Firmware is totally separate. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.