Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chelseany23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
In a stroke of brilliance, I deleted the PowerPC architectures from my MacBook. Now apps like Office can not run. Is there a way to reinstall the architectures or otherwise get those apps running again?

If not, is it possible to reinstall OSX but keep all the files and settings as they exist already?

chelseany23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Thanks for the response.

So after doing an archive and install, will my OS look the same, or will everything just be in this folder and I need to relocate everything?

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
chelseany23 said:
Thanks for the response.

So after doing an archive and install, will my OS look the same, or will everything just be in this folder and I need to relocate everything?
What Archive Install does is save your home folder (~/) (the one with your music, pictures etc folders) and wipe out your System folder and your main library (/Library). If you have any plugins etc installed in these 2 locations (System and /Library) they will be saved into a folder named Previous Systems and from there you can manually put them back where they belong. But when you boot up after the Archive Install everything will look as you left it.

--Cheers

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Live and learn, but you are not the only one to do this ... since people have posted warnings not to do this.

And for doing it ...
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Smart people learn from making stupid mistakes, while stupid people are doomed to repeat them again and again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.