reinstalling pulled MAS apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hehe299792458, Feb 17, 2015.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

There are some apps that I have (e.g. Sparrow, which was pulled today) that are no longer available on the Mac App Store. I still have these apps installed on my computer.

When I switch to a new computer, is there a way to bring these along. Obviously, migration assistant is one way, but what if I wanted to start anew?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Data is written to various folders under ~/Library/ and not within the app. If it can't find those files, it'll make new ones as if you've just opened the app for the first time. You might want to try seeing what happens if you just pull the apps from the Application folder, and then load them into another machine/user account just to make sure.

3. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

For regular apps, that'll work. But for MAS apps, which have DRM, I dont think that does

4. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Do these apps not show up in your purchase history?

Looking at my account, I can install Garageband 6, OS X Lion, and Mountain Lion from the MAS even though they have been delisted. You should be able to reinstall these apps on a new computer; you just need to login to the MAS with the same Apple ID with which the apps were originally purchased.

5. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Apple generally keeps their delisted apps in history so users who purchased them can still reinstall. However, Google seems to have completely pulled Sparrow.

e.g. I can still see Lion in my history, but not Sparrow.

6. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I'm a little surprised Apple gives developers that ability

7. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

I guess it sort of makes sense. If (hypothetically) there was some hideous, disastrous bug in a piece of software - or maybe a legal reason why it should no longer be sold - then a developer would want to be able to pull it completely from the store.

Its an interesting question about what should happen to folks who have already purchased such an app and want to continue using it, such as the OP. I don't know what the answer to that one is.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

There are many ways to find the software that you need.

If google has pulled Sparrow -- even though one may have been a legal and registered user -- I suggest you seek out such channels...

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Just like in the old days of distribution on disks, you need to keep the original stored away somewhere in case you need it. When you download an app from the App Store, before you launch it, first make an archive (ZIP file) of it and save it away in a safe place. If in the future you can't download it, just unzip the archive into /Applications. It may ask for your Apple ID when first started -- just don't lose that!

This has saved me several times when trying to install old versions of Apple software especially -- they really try to stamp the old versions out! Some of these self-modify when first run (Apple doesn't have to follow their own standards) so must be saved prior to running.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Migration Assistant

Migration Assistant allows you to transfer specific folders.

That's the only way you'll keep your apps if they've been pulled from the store.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Out of curiosity...why do you want to start fresh?

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

This happens to me all the time. Apps, TV Shows, Movies. I was able to make a local copy of an App that was pulled and install on another Mac and using my Apple Store credentials and it worked. It is extremely frustrating though and makes me not trust Apple with the cloud.