Reinstalling Quicktime Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AnrBjotk, May 6, 2012.

1. AnrBjotk macrumors member

I know there already are at least ten other threads regarding this, but there seems to be no actual solution.
    I have been 'living with it' for two years now, and am at the end of my tethers.

Two years ago, for reasons I forget, I deleted Quicktime. I can't remember which version anymore. Anyway, I have tried to reinstall Quicktime, 7 or X, again and again, but either get the message "already installed", or the installed Quicktime 7 simply crashes.
    It wasn't a problem at first, as I never used the QT player, who does?, but it IS a problem because I can't run iMovie or even iTunes without Quicktime (that is to say iTunes crashes when entering Store)

What can I do? I no longer have the Boot DVD, or OSX DVD, so I can't reinstall Quicktime from there. Are there ANY other ways?

I read somewhere you can delete QT receipts, in the Receipts folder, but U cannot even find that.

Are there any solutions? I'm willing to try experimental radical approaches ;)

I run MacBook Pro OSX 10.6.8.

2. AnrBjotk thread starter macrumors member

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

QuickTime 7 is easy to reinstall if you deleted it accidentally. Just open a media file that QuickTime X can't handle - say, a MIDI. QuickTime 7 will be installed on demand, if you don't have it.

If QuickTime X was deleted, there's also an easy solution. Re-apply the 10.6.8 combo update to your system. Mind you, it's a 1.1 GB download.

4. AnrBjotk thread starter macrumors member

Dear me, that actually worked. Quicktime is working! Why isn't this solution mentioned elsewheres? iMovie is even working!
    Sir, you are a king among men, I am forever in your debt.