Reinstalling Safari: How, and what should I be aware of?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by felixen, Oct 3, 2012.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

My Safari has become hot garbage. It keeps forgetting what tabs I've had open. Usually it would just forget them once in a while, but now it's every time I hit the red "close" button in the upper left corner. When I open Safari again it starts fresh. This sucks tremendously, so I am hoping a reinstall of Safari would fix it.

However, I don't know how to do it properly. Do I just drag it to the trash bin and that's it? Or do I need to clear all kinds of cache and stuff first?

Also, where do I re-download it? I can't see a download button on the Safari page of apple.com..?

Finally, if I delete Safari, can I be 100% certain that my iCloud bookmarks won't get deleted with it?

2. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know it's kind of a noob question, but I really hope someone can help me out. I like using Safari on all my devices, but it really sucks that it ALWAYS deletes my tabs

----------

Also, if I click History and click the "restore all windows from previous session" button, it will always restore to this one session from two days ago. Always that particular session, so I can't even use that feature properly anymore (it worked a few days ago for some reason)

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Short of an OS reinstall, I am not aware of a way to reinstall Safari. I doubt that would do anything anyway.

Try starting Safari and then click the Safari menu at the top left, then click Reset Safari... check all the boxes then click reset. See if that helps.

4. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Can I be certain that this won't delete my bookmarks?

5. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crap, I just tried resetting it, and it still won't remember my sessions as soon as I hit that little red close button

6. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Currently restoring my MacBook. This better work

7. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Man, my Mini does this also.

Is it just me being a moron? Is there some setting I need to activate to make Safara remember my tabs whenever I close it using the red close-button in the upper left corner? I know I should just refrain from doing so, but if I can fix it I'd like to