reinstalling setup asst in Office

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ccarroll57, Jul 20, 2014.

1. ccarroll57 macrumors newbie

I cleaned apps from my macpro using appcleaner. Now, I get an error message when trying to boot any program in office 2008. Error says: "setup cannot be completed b/c the setup asst app cannot be opened. Try running office installer again." Is there any way to reinstall the setup asst without reinstalling the entire office package? I no longer have the disks for the program.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow! You are in a pickle. You can't just divine an Office 2008 installation from the ether. You might try downloading and installing the updates from Microsoft's Office 2008 website. Hopefully, one of them will reinstall the Setup Assistant. If not, then you need the Office 2008 installation disc.

Now, here is where things get nasty for you. It is my understanding that the Office 2008 installer requires Rosetta. If this is the case, then the installer will not run on recent releases of OS X.

The Big Picture

For those who have considered using AppCleaner or another such utility, let this be a lesson to you. It is not needed and should not be used. Such utilities do more harm than good. If you want to uninstall an application, then use the developer's uninstaller. If no uninstaller is included, then none is needed. Use the Finder. ccarroll57 made the mistake of using AppCleaner so that you don't have to.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If "app cleaner" removes unneeded languages from your system - those various .lproj folders that hold language resources - then that's the main problem. Removing language resources will completely break Office 2008.
    You must reinstall Office 2008 to fix, the updaters for Office won't help.
    Office 2008 should install OK in newer systems, although I only have Lion to try it, the installer appears to work OK.

If you have lost your original Office 2008 installer disk (for whatever reason you don't have it), then you are SOL without the installer.
    Or, you could restore Office from your backups. ( :D )

4. ccarroll57 thread starter macrumors newbie

Reinstalling setup asst in Office

Ok, so I guess my punishment for using appcleaner will be shelling out some money for Office. I was rocking along pretty well with 2008. Think i can get away with a cheap version of it or must I upgrade and spend more? Obviously, I dont need a big memory hog with my little macbook.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Current version is Office for Mac 2011.
    You may be able to find Office 2008 on eBay.

Do you REALLY need Office? - or can you use an Office-like solution, such as OpenOffice, or LibreOffice - both are free.

6. ccarroll57 thread starter macrumors newbie

reinstalling setup asst in Office

Well, I'm open to change but I've used Office since 2008 and every document I own is either excel or Word. I dont mind paying a little something and maybe I should take this opportunity to upgrade at least just a little. I will look into ebay and see what deals there might be for a newer version of Office.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't need to spend an extra penny for compatibility with your documents and you don't need Microsoft Office. OpenOffice or an OpenOffice sibling like LibreOffice or NeoOffice will open, edit, and save any and all of your Microsoft Office documents. OpenOffice and LibreOffice are free.

8. Drewski macrumors regular

Like with others in the Apple world, the free Office suite alternatives didnt quite cut it for me, especially with the more complex spreadsheets. I'm probably going to pick up the Mac version of Office 365. Big bonus is that it comes with 1 TB of storage on MS Onedrive plus 60 Skype minutes per month for a year for $100 from MS. Just for the storage, thats already cheaper than Google. Its like they throw in a year of Office for free.

Someone reminded me in another thread to check Amazon et al. for better prices ($65!?!) on Office 365. I've been getting more and more invested in the Google world, but for that Office 365 / Onedrive / skype deal, it makes more sense to me to invest elsewhere...

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Microsoft can replace the disk if you have the product code.