Reinstalling Snow Leopard does not work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by razoel123, Mar 12, 2011.

1. razoel123 macrumors newbie

hi
    ive been trying to reinstall my snow leopard (with a retail dvd) on my unmodified early 2010 15" mbp, because some things (like no network connection although he says im connected and things like that) have been really annoying lately. already tried resetting my pram, nvram, pmu, repairing rights but no effect.
    i lost my gray recovery dvd so i bought a snow leopard dvd. inserting the dvd and pressing C at startup results in a gray screen with apple logo but no loading circle. starting the installation from the os starts the installation, but after 15 minutes or so, a restart results in the same problem. i waited for about half an hour, still gray screen.
    i searched on the web for this problem but found nothing specific to help solve my problem
    thx for help

2. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

try holding alt/ option key to see if that works

3. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Have you tried inserting the disk while logged in and installing from there?

4. razoel123 thread starter macrumors newbie

@ljonesj
    holding down alt while startup does not help, unfortunately... results in the same

@mjsmke
    yes i already tried, at some point the machine restarts and voila, gray screen with a black apple

havent called the support yet, maybe they know something

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Oh, really? It has been said too many times to count:

You cannot install an OS that is older than the OS that shipped with your computer. I'm betting dollars to donuts that your version of MacOS X 10.6 is older than your computer.

PM me for the address to ship the donuts. One dozen, please. I like my donuts from a mom & pop shop, glazed with those delicious airy voids that just melt in your mouth.

6. razoel123 thread starter macrumors newbie

what do i need to do then? somehow downgrade or just wait for the next os to come?

7. davidlv macrumors 65816

You need to call Apple, tell them you lost the Install OS X DVD and ask for a new one. They will ship you one for a minimal fee.
    Give up on the "downgrade" idea, it won't work.

8. razoel123 thread starter macrumors newbie

support said they wont send me a new one, i should buy a retail dvd.

i think i call again and hope for another operator -.-

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Do you have an Apple retail store anywhere nearby?

If so, will they restore the system?

And a final off-the-wall thought:
    Download the developer copy of OS 10.7 Lion, and install _that_ instead. As for where to get it, well, that's up to you, but it CAN be done. And Lion seems to run just fine, even on my older "white" Intel iMac.

But Lion _will_ install on your Mac, and you _can_ use it "as is" until the "official" version gets released later this year.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK, then do that. Buy a recent retail version of MacOS X 10.6. Just make sure that it is a version that was released after your computer hit the market.

As for Fishrrman's advice in Post #8, I disagree. Development systems are for developers. Although it he is correct that the OS will run on your machine, there is no guarantee that your software will run on MacOS X 10.7 beta. We know for a fact that your PPC-based software won't run. When you are ready to install the release version of MacOS X 10.7, you will not have the option to do a simple upgrade to the release version.

11. razoel123 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Fishrrman
    sadly, there is no apple store in germanys capital city^^ i only have a premium reseller around the corner, dunno if they do a restore.

@MisterMe
    my snow leopard version is from last week. i tried to reinstall with that but end up with that gray screen.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is meaningless. Apple did not release a new version of MacOS X 10.6 last week.

13. davidlv macrumors 65816

That doesn't sound right. If you provide them with the serial nimber of the computer they should be able to check it and confirm that the disks you are requesting actually came with the computer. If the operator refuses to send you new ones ask for a supervisor. I have heard they will send replacement disks!
    In regard to the retail DVDs, there are only 2 as far as I know; ver 10.6 and ver. 10.6.3, 10.6 definitely won't work as it came out in late 2009, and I suspect 10.6.3 is too old too to have the resources necessary for the 2010 models, not sure about that.
    Another way is to find a friend with the same basic machine and borrow their disk. Do you have a bootable external HD? If so, try booting from that disk and running the latest combo updater to 10.6.6 on your internal HD.
    Running out of ideas real fast here.....:eek: