Reinstalling Snow Leopard Help! Should I transfer User and Apps?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by superspiffy, Oct 28, 2009.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I've never done a clean install since I got my first Mac with Tiger. And from Tiger I upgraded to Leopard and upgraded Leopard to Snow Leopard. Now I'm getting occasional hangups and crashes (especially iMovie 09) so I want to do a clean install of SL. I have a clone of my SL partition on an external. So should I do a reinstall from the CD and just use Migration Assistant to transfer all data like Users, Apps, etc from the external SL clone to save me the trouble of reimporting my iphoto and iTunes libs and reinstalling apps? Or would tranferring those data make the reinstallation worthless?

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You can drag and drop iPhone and iTunes libraries, and those should not cause problems. What may cause problems are things in Application Support or your Preference files.

I would simply move files and libraries, not prefs and Application support files.

In most cases you drag and drop an app, although it's registration information could be located in Application Support or in plists. Just take note of those apps and have the keys, serials, etc ready on first run.

3. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

So Users shouldn't be a problem cuz it contains no pref files? what about Settings?