Reinstalling Snow Leopard on iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LastLine, Apr 20, 2011.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Hey all,

Just bought a new iMac, shop floor model as it was the last one with over £200 off.

The disks I got with it tell me OS X cannot be installed on this PC when I try so I've resorted to my own copy of Snow Leopard.

When I run this and go through the installation it gets to a certain point in the countdown, reboots and then seems to sit indefinitely on the 'Apple Screen'

The HDD is Mac OS Extended Journaled formatted if that makes a difference, but should I jsut wait this out (it's a 1TB drive, I figure it could take a while?) or something else.

Any thoughts please.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

+1. My thought too. Very common occurrence with floor models.

Drag the thing back there, demonstrate the issue, suggest the disks are mismatched. Then make a bit of (professional/non-stompy/non-whiny) noise about the disappointment of it all and the inconvenience of having to come back, etc., and maybe they'll comp you a goodie of some sort.

4. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

But surely if I'm using a retail box of Snow Leopard (I have a spare one) the incorrect disk won't be the problem :) :D

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your retail version may not be new enough to work. Current iMacs shipped with 10.6.4 or newer, while the retail version is either 10.6.0 or 10.6.3. 10.6.3 may not have the drivers required by your iMac, thus the error.

6. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

That....sounds likely.

Damnit. Looks like I'll have to go bang heads together tomorrow.