Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Ok, SL has been giving me annoying beachballs fro trying to open system preferences to logging into my gmail. So, I want to a fresh reinstall of it. Is this possible?

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Yes, do you know how? if not, backup using Time Machine, backup important files (I backed up most of my files) on an external drive as well just to be safe!

Insert the disk, boot up from the disk, use Disk Utility to erase your partition that Snow Leopard is on, you might need to format it again to be used for OSX, I think it is NFS+ Journelled or something.
Then continue with the installation. Don't migrate from an existing drive, or from Time Machine - otherwise it defeats the purpose.
Then drop the files you want back from external drive, and restore particular files you want from TM.

Be careful though!

I think I got that about right?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
The file format is Mac OSX extended Journaled I think, and yes a reinstall over a clean partition should get rid of most of your problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.