Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMiiTH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I installed windows xp on bootcamp and it completely screwed up my os x partition. Everything's still there, but when I boot up it's an endless loop of blue screens ... So I'm just going to reinstall.

I had to boot from, the disk.. And there aren't any options to archive documents, like there was when I upgraded my pc to windows 7 I did a clean install but there was a folder called windows.old.

Some other threads said that it does automatically and other says it doesn't. I just need clarification.

Thanks!

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
One thing you could do is just do a reinstall without doing anything such as Archive or Formatting, this should fix any corrupted files. It worked for me when mine got corrupted due to some non-compatible drivers.

iMiiTH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and its installation process don't offer any Archive and Install option like previous Mac OS X versions. Snow Leopard's normal installation procedure, meaning not deviating from the standard and doing an Erase and Install for instance, will restore the broken Mac OS X system and leave all your files and settings intact.

So all files and documents will stay in their original folders? My MacBook's right in front of me, cursor over the install button :p

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
So all files and documents will stay in their original folders? My MacBook's right in front of me, cursor over the install button :p

With Mac OS X 10.6 it will do just that. I once did a re-installation that way, and everything was the same* after the installation finished.

* files and folders where still there, even my Desktop background was the same.

iMiiTH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
With Mac OS X 10.6 it will do just that. I once did a re-installation that way, and everything was the same* after the installation finished.

* files and folders where still there, even my Desktop background was the same.

Did you insert the disk while logged in? Or did you boot from it? Would it matter?

iMiiTH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Well, I just finished installing, and it worked! Thanks a bunch :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.