Reinstalling Snow Lepoard, will it archive what was already on the disk?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iMiiTH, Aug 19, 2010.

1. iMiiTH macrumors newbie

I installed windows xp on bootcamp and it completely screwed up my os x partition. Everything's still there, but when I boot up it's an endless loop of blue screens ... So I'm just going to reinstall.

I had to boot from, the disk.. And there aren't any options to archive documents, like there was when I upgraded my pc to windows 7 I did a clean install but there was a folder called windows.old.

Some other threads said that it does automatically and other says it doesn't. I just need clarification.

Thanks!

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

One thing you could do is just do a reinstall without doing anything such as Archive or Formatting, this should fix any corrupted files. It worked for me when mine got corrupted due to some non-compatible drivers.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and its installation process don't offer any Archive and Install option like previous Mac OS X versions. Snow Leopard's normal installation procedure, meaning not deviating from the standard and doing an Erase and Install for instance, will restore the broken Mac OS X system and leave all your files and settings intact.

4. iMiiTH thread starter macrumors newbie

So all files and documents will stay in their original folders? My MacBook's right in front of me, cursor over the install button :p

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

With Mac OS X 10.6 it will do just that. I once did a re-installation that way, and everything was the same* after the installation finished.

* files and folders where still there, even my Desktop background was the same.

6. iMiiTH thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you insert the disk while logged in? Or did you boot from it? Would it matter?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Both can be done. I think I inserted it while the Mac was booted up, but I don't remember it exactly.

8. iMiiTH thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I just finished installing, and it worked! Thanks a bunch :D