reinstalling Tiger OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by downingp, Oct 17, 2007.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

I just bought a used MBP. Since it is a used machine I wanted to do a complete reinstall. I loaded the install disk and at startup held down the C button. It started the install process and then it asked me to update. It never asked me anything about completely reinstalling, or archiving or anything like that. It only gave me the option to update. Did I do something wrong?

thanks.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's an Options button on the screen that asks you to select an installation destination.

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did that already. I selected the Macintosh HD. It then asked me to "update"

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Try using disc utility to blank the drive first.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, I've never seen it do that. Are you sure you selected Erase and Install correctly?

6. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well after the hour or so process it only did an update. I started the process over again and did see an option to do an erase and install. I guess I was too excited to get started and clicked the Macintosh HD drive but didn't see the option button at the bottom to choose what kind of install.
    Anyway, I guess I have a long night ahead of me of reinstalling for the next hour again. Boy, do I feel dumb :)