Reinstalling Tiger.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by I can be LJ6, Mar 17, 2013.

1. I can be LJ6 macrumors newbie

hey i got a power mac g4 that is running tiger, i mabe got it about 3 to 4 months ago. I got it upgraded just about a month ago by a guy that has worked on them for years. so he instaled the latest things for tiger, including the combo pack. so i tried to install the update, i didn't know that he had already put the combo update on it. so i installed it then it recomended me of course to restart the mac, so i did. then, when it booted up, it only made it to the apple logo screen and thats it. the spiral that spins didn't even come up. i was sitting there for at least five minutes. i forced it to reset, i held the power button to turn it off , then turned it back on. i unpluged all my stuff, i tried every keyboard shortcut almost. so i know the last option is to reinstall tiger back on my power mac g4 by putting the disk in then holding c at startup. so i wanted to ask, if i reinstall tiger, wont it get rid of my music files, and all my applications that were installed that didn't come with tiger?

2. simsaladimbamba

One option would be to do an Archive And Install, which preserves your data and applications (which you probably have to restore anyway), or you could get an external HDD, Firewire 400 or 800, install Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger onto that and then migrate all your data and applications with the help of Migration Assistant, then format the internal HDD, and clone the external HDD to the internal HDD, thus be able to boot from the internal HDD again.