Reinstalling trouble

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RafaelT, Oct 30, 2010.

1. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

So my installation of OS X decided to stop working correctly today and after some trouble shooting I found I needed to re install.

I decided to Archive and reinstall, my backups are not as recent as they should be. During the first reinstall attempt it froze when I tried to view the install log. I now on my second attempt at reinstalling and a again choose archive (this time the option to preserve user setting is greyd out)... With the trouble I had my old files should still be there right?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Should be. Update your backup ASAP when you get it to work though

3. RafaelT thread starter macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I will. Thanks.

I am trying the reinstall now... The progress bar has made it about 3/4 of an inch... Its been there for about 20 minutes... Is that normal?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

At least for me, it sat at the same place for a long time and then out of nowhere started moving rapidly. Let it take its time.

5. RafaelT thread starter macrumors 65816

RafaelT

So after repeated attempts at reinstalling I have had no luck, it starts then hangs. Disk utility was telling me that my drive was ok earlier but now fails to run all the way before coming up with errors.

Earlier today it was taking forever to log on and then eventually would be come unusable once it finally did log on.

Am I right to think that more then likely I have a bad HD?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sounds like the HD is gone. Do you have an external drive where you could install the OS X?

7. RafaelT thread starter macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Ended up making a trip to the Apple store yesterday and picked up a new 15" MacBook Pro. I can't run my business without a computer.

I will go ahead when I get some time and pick up a new HD for it and see if that fixes everything, hopefully it will and I will have a backup computer.

Turns out my latest backup was from the 8th so that wasn't to bad. I think this time I will go without FileVault so it will stay up to date. I like the security but it is a pain in the ass.

Thanks for your help.

8. RafaelT thread starter macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Well my new HD came today and I just got it installed. OS X is re installing now and everything seems to be going smoothly. Amazing what a difference a working HD makes.

Thanks for the help.