Reinstalling/Uninstalling/Installing Mac based OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by frnak, Jul 30, 2008.

1. frnak macrumors member

frnak

I know a lot of people in the Windows world (including me) wipe their hard drives and reinstall an Operating System all over again numerous times throughout the year to get rid of unwanted "stuff". My question for all you mac users out there...is it simple to do it on a Mac? and is it really necessary, after hearing that Mac is DLL-Hell-free and 11,000 Virus free? :p

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While reinstalling the Mac OS X is relatively simple, it's completely unnecessary as a regular "maintenance" procedure. Most issues can be fixed with much less drastic measures. (By the way, how did you get your Windows system down to ONLY 11,000 viruses, from hundreds of thousands that are running around out there for Windows?) :D

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Archive and Install is relatively easy to do, and also relatively unnecessary. Certainly any kind of 'routine' re-install isn't needed.

4. frnak thread starter macrumors member

frnak

So, application files left behind will not slow down the system? I heard that the application "App Zapper" is needed to completely clean off an application after uninstalling it. So isn't that the same thing as Windows?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Rarely does an App leave stuff behind, other than user preferences. In those cases where they do, AppZapper can clean up the few files left behind. It's not nearly as complicated as the installation process in Windows. There is no registry on a Mac, or .dll files, etc. Mac is much more elegant and straightforward on installation/removal of applications.

By the way, when you switch to a Mac, you'll only have one regret:

... that you didn't do it years ago! :)

6. frnak thread starter macrumors member

frnak

Ok, so constant reinstalling and uninstalling and install apps on Macs will not deteriorate performance on the mac, thats good.

But in case I DO need to reinstall Leopard on my Mac, will the applications have to be reinstalled again like on Windows? And what about settings for those applications? Especially iPhoto, which I believe does not let you organize the photo library outside of the application. How would I back it up, and restore the settings, WHILE having a new Leopard installation?

Sorry if that sounded extremely confusing...lots to think about before switching...

7. glanv macrumors regular

I switched to a Mac two years ago and haven't looked back. I'm not going to slate Windows as it does its job OK and I have to use them all day at work. Plus I know it very well and have mine tweaked as much as possible. It was always pretty stable, the only bad thing was system slow down and having to re-install. With my MacBook I have only restored once in two years and that was to install leopard. I backed up all my photos, mail etc and done a clean install. Took me about 4hrs all in all and that was restoring everything (files and programs and settings).

8. glanv macrumors regular

iPhoto can be messed about with outside of the app - it is just not advised. It is easy to back up - merely copy the library in your home folder (equivalent of my documents) and when you have re-installed OS X, place it back in the same place - simple as!

Keep the questions coming, I know I had loads before I switched. Honestly, everything is so easy on a mac. I bought a little beginners guide to os x (which helped) and also a heavy text book style one (which I have hardly used due to the excellent help files and of course forums like these).

List off your questions and I'll try and answer as many as I can.

9. frnak thread starter macrumors member

frnak

Oh, ok, so the library file can just be replaced...

Another question is about iTunes...apparently everytime I play a mp3 file, iTunes automatically add it to my library. Is there a way to turn that off, like in windows media player, that prevents iTunes from adding sound files I play into my library?

And yet another question...is there a way to backup with Time Machine, and exclude system files, applications and such, but STILL retain folder structure in programs such as iPhoto and iTunes? So that when I install a fresh new Leopard, I can install iPhoto, and use Time Machine to get my photos back. Is there a way?

Thanks for the help

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just uncheck the box in Preferences

Attached Files:

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Widows has a registry that gets sloppy with repeated installs and uninstalls. OSX has no registry so you won't need to clean it up by reinstalling OSX.

12. glanv macrumors regular

Yeah, iPhoto library is one big 'package' with everything it needs in there.

iTunes I am not so sure on. I am assuming that it adds it because when you play the file iTunes is the default player. Hopefully someone knows if this can be turned on/off.

I use Time Machine with Time Capsule. Luckily I haven't had to use a back-up, apart from when I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard (Tiger doesn't have Time machine). However, when you re-install leopard you have an option to migrate files from a back-up. Not sure if this is only for Time Capsule back-ups though.

13. glanv macrumors regular

14. frnak thread starter macrumors member

frnak

Thanks for all your help =)

I'm done with questions for today, phew, lol

15. glanv macrumors regular

Cool. Just go for it and switch! You know you want to! Best of luck!