Reinstalling Utilities

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MyDesktopBroke, Oct 4, 2009.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I recently had to reinstall OS X after accidentally corrupting the finding. Because I had some important files on my computer, I reinstalled OS X with the archive and install option.

The installation went fine apparently, but when I went to my utilities folder, I only had two, Java Support and Color Sync.

I went to the previous system folder to copy the utilities, but there were some missing from there, too. During the archive and reinstall, I downgraded from 10.5.8 to 5.6. Could that be the root of the problem?

I need to reinstall these utilities, but I don't know how, and I don't want to do another install.

I have a late 08 MBP 2.53ghz and it came with the following discs:
    Mac OS X Install DVD (10.5.6)
    Applications Install DVD

What do i do?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's strange. Reinstalling the OS should not affect other installed applications. (It might replace some Apple apps, but that's it.) Moving from 10.5.8 to 10.5.6 also should not mess with the other stuff. I don't know what to tell you other than reinstall the missing utilities from their original discs.

3. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

I eventually did that, but I couldn't figure out how to do it on my own. I had to use an application named "Pacifist" to located the install packages on the install discs.

Was there a way to do it without a 3rd party app?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If you have the original installation discs, I don't understand why you would need a 3rd party app.