Reinstalling Vista via VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by richardsim7, Nov 12, 2008.

1. richardsim7 macrumors regular

richardsim7

I installed Vista on my new Macbook Pro using the Boot Camp assistant, however I did something to get rid of error messages and screwed up my activation *cough*.

I can access Vista fine using VMware fusion, my question is: Can I re-install Vista through VMware fusion so it saves me having to reboot all the time (ie: cutting me out of OS X, interrupting what I'm doing)

-Rich-

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

In Fusion you can either run your BootCamp partition in BootCamp or as a virtual machine. The only issue is that it seems to disable Aero even when using BootCamp.

3. richardsim7 thread starter macrumors regular

richardsim7

Aero isn't the issue here, how do I restart my virtual machine and boot from disc?

-Rich-

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

restart, hold "C". or hold the alt/option and select the disk from the menu

5. richardsim7 thread starter macrumors regular

richardsim7

Well I managed to boot from disc (F2)
    I installed Vista fine, but when I tried to boot into it it BSOD'd
    So I installed it the old fashioned way (boot camp) and that worked fine, but it BSOD'd again when I tried to go in via Boot Camp. This was resolved by deleting the boot camp folder in user/application support/vmware fusion/virtual machines and letting VMware Fusion create the bootcamp thing again :)

-Rich-