Reinstalling Windows partition on 10.5

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by xperton3, Aug 26, 2008.

1. xperton3 macrumors member

Hey guys, i purchased a new hard drive for my MBP and I want to know if I can move over my old Windows partition to the new internal drive. Here is what I did so far:

Installed 10.5 fresh on the new drive. Went through the boot camp assistant just to the point where it creates the partition. Now I have a partition called BOOTCAMP. I copied over all the files and folders from the old hard drive partition that had Windows on it to the new BOOTCAMP partition. I rebooted the machine holding down the option key and my newly created BOOTCAMP partition is not showing up.

Did I do this correctly?
    Is it possible to do this without going through the entire windows install all over again?
    What are the correct steps to do this if it is at all possible?

Thanks guys for all your help....

2. BrownPlopz macrumors regular

Not really...
    What you're going to need to do, is reinsert the old HD, and download a freeware application on your Mac partition called 'WinClone'. Then, you back up your Windows partition with that (somewhere where you can access it from your new HD, prefferably), and reinsert the new HD. Then run the BC Setup Assistant, create a partition, and when it comes time to insert your install disk, you simply quit the assistant, leaving you with an empty NTFS partition. From there, you run Winclone, and restore that partition with the backup you previously made.