Reinstalling Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Link2999, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Link2999 macrumors 6502

If I wanted to reinstall Windows (currently using 32bit, want to upgrade to 64), I assume I would remove the partition, make a new one, and reinstall Windows from there. Now, will the same Product Key work if I did it like this? As far as I know, because the Product Key has already been used it won't let me.

2. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

If you have a Retail copy of Windows then you'll be fine. If it's an OEM one you'll need to purchase a new license.

As for installing the new one, during the Windows install it will ask you where you would like to install it too. You can choose to do a quick format on the partition you want to install Windows on. It will save some faff...
    However, If your using Bootcamp I'm not sure how this might be effected I doubt it will but unless someone else says it's cool it might be worth deleting and creating a new partition in Bootcamp to be on the safe side.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

According to a strict read of the license, yes, but not always in practice. Unfortunately the only way to find out for sure is to try it. For example, I got a 32 bit version at a launch event and used the key with 64 bit media I downloaded from TechNet. Others have also found that the same product key works for both 32 and 64 bit versions so it may not raise a flag when it sees that it is on the same hardware.

I'd back up the existing installation with Winclone or something similar and at least be able to get back to this point and then try it.

Probably just use Disk Utility to replace the existing partition with a new FAT32 one labeled BOOTCAMP to get back to the state Boot Camp Assistant leaves you in, and then install the new version and try the current product ID.

B