Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlwillia

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Can the iPhone mic detect "sucking" instead of "blowing"

It would be kind of cool to show the ember of the cigarette "glow" as if someone was taking a drag. Overall, pretty sweet App. though.

Has anyone heard of the game dopewars or drugwars? I'm guessing that game would be rejected for the same reason this one was.

Dam Apple pushing its morals on people....

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Why not just lose the pipe and have it so you're blowing on a stick on fire or something, it is the smoke effect that is the awesome part and having the smoke generated by blowing on something would be more realistic anyway!

katte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
I'm not sure if the NDA on the contents of the rejection letter is still in effect so I'm not going to post it, but I can say that the app did not violate any rules, nor were there any technical issues. Apple simply thought that it won't appeal to iPhone users.

I asked them if there were any modifications I could make to the app but there was no reply of course.
I've resubmitted a version of it which was stripped of all cigarette modes and contained just the smoking pipe a month ago and it's still waiting to be reviewed, far longer than the usual review time for an app. I guess they are hoping that I'll give up and I'm disappointed that they are taking that strategy.

As for the people who ask why make another app that does nothing - well first it doesn't just do nothing, it is a tech demo for an interactive smoke simulation algorithm, presented in a way that is accessible to ordinary, non-technical people. And the fact that iBeer is still on the top 10 list after so long shows that people want toy apps like this to show off to friends and have a laugh about it, so why deny them the fun?

jmccullough108

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Good point, well smoking does have a far larger amount of negative PR pointed it's way... Something along those lines...

I agree.

I got to thinking, and Apple was probably right about rejecting this, just because of the negative impact the smoking corporations vs the non smokers have been putting out lately, If the iphone has some type of app, im sure it would make some kind of public argument.

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
I agree.

I got to thinking, and Apple was probably right about rejecting this, just because of the negative impact the smoking corporations vs the non smokers have been putting out lately, If the iphone has some type of app, im sure it would make some kind of public argument.
Huh?

Then get rid of the beer apps. Get rid of any app with shooting or guns in it too.

I don't need apple to protect me from smoking.

katte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Wow after watching that video smoking seems so cool, I'm going to go buy myself a packet of cigarettes.

Imitational teens and small children are the reason why your app wasn't allowed.

If they had wanted to protect minors from this smoking simulator app they could have put it into a mature category instead they rejected it outright based on the content.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
We should get rob reiner on Apple...virtual smoking is sooo much better for you than real smoking. by rejecting virtual smoking apple is being pro-smoking and encouraging its customers to go out and smoke instead of virtual lsmoke:eek:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
As far as Apple rejecting it for smoking... This app is NOT OK, but iBeer, and alcohol based apps ARE OK? wow...

Yeah, not sure I understand the logic behind this either. Personally, I think they are both dumb, but if one is ok the other should be too.

katte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2008
Pocket Incense available now

One of my apps that uses the "iSmoke tech" finally got approved and is now for sale on iTunes. It's a virtual incense with a soothing meditational background track, I know it's not as hilarious as iSmoke, but it works the same way. Check it out here

Meanwhile, a tone-down version of iSmoke is still in review....

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!
I gotta admit, I like it. That's a really cool app.

Not sure why they would reject it though with all of the other crap they let in the app store, like iPint and etc... you know, the beer apps. So, legal drinking is ok, but legal smoking is not.

You can get liver disease, but not cancer.

Wow. Who is Apple to randomly pass judgement........keep in mind, I said randomly.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Well I thought it was quite damn cool.

So some iPhone users would actually want it. Not that I have an iPhone, but if I did.

redpion

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008
you need to change the product name, then apple will accept it.

example. VirtualSmoke

using i is kinda like encourage people to smoke.

also put a disclaimer at the startup saying like simulation only.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
....and what is the difference between this and all those beer apps? Apple you make no sense.

Where did anyone say Apple rejected the app because in involved smoking?
Answer: No one did, people are simply speculating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.