Release date for next Macbook 12"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SLM9555, Dec 14, 2016.

  1. SLM9555 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2012
    #1
    Does anyone know when the current 12" MB is supposed to get an update/refresh? I am in the market now but will wait if it's around the corner.

    Thank you!
     
  2. fisherking macrumors 603

    fisherking

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    Location:
    ny somewhere
    #2
    the popular theory is march/april, but really... this is apple, no one knows for sure.
    or, if this helps: it will be released on the day after the day before it's released...
     
  3. hardax macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    #3
    Im not fully up to date on the processor roadmap but is there even a core m processor upgrade that would fit in a new Macbook coming out any time soon? I would think Apple wouldn't even consider a refresh until that is available?
     
  4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    Location:
    Chicago
    #4
    They seem to have updated it a year after introduction, so I would say probably spring or a little bit later depending on processor availability.

    According to Intel's site on the M processors, there is already a chip that has Intel Graphics 615 instead of the 515 in the current ones, so by Spring I would imagine a spec bump is likely, even if its not overly dramatic.

    So slightly faster processor, slightly better graphics, perhaps a BTO or high end option to get 16GB RAM versus the current max of 8GB, and slightly better battery life (though that's wishful thinking, more likely it stays the same) would make for a fine upgrade.

    But that's all it would be... an upgrade. Meaning those who want to buy it, get something a little better than they could before. It is not going to be a dramatic difference that would necessarily compel someone who bought the first or second gen to buy this one.

    Alternatively, they can drop the prices on these by a few hundred bucks while doing the minor upgrades or maybe no real upgrades (perhaps just adding a BTO upgrade option or two). Once they get this laptop down to $999 or $899 starting price, the Air 13 will disappear from the lineup.

    Given that they just reaffirmed the Air in the fall, I would think a price drop on these is probably not coming until at least 12-18 months from now, or if there is any price drop it will not be super dramatic.
     
  5. the future macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    #5
    I bet Apple waits for cannonlake, so fall/winter 2017. Does anyone know if all cannonlake boards will include display port 1.3? A rMB with external 5K display would be my dream setup.
     
  6. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

    Eggtastic

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    NJ
    #6
    I hope not for a while considering I went with a 2016.
     
  7. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

    Zazoh

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2009
    Location:
    Mico, Texas
    #7
    Ditto.

    On one of the tabs at top of screen: MacBook is neutral, but you never know, look what a run the Mini has been on. Update span seems to be going longer.

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac
     
  8. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

    ryanwarsaw

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2007
    #8
    I bought one myself not too long ago. I don't hope that the refresh happens later just because of this. One day I will need a new one so I hope as many refreshes between now and that day happen.
     
  9. arnette macrumors 6502

    arnette

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2002
    Location:
    Manhattan Beach
    #9
    Will the 2017 Macbook have Thunderbolt 3 like the MBPs do now? What's the technical reason for it not having it currently?
     
  10. sunapple macrumors 6502a

    sunapple

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2013
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #10
    I'd buy one if it had the new keyboard from the MacBook Pros. Once you go butterfly gen 2 you never want to go back.

    16GB seems pretty sweet too.
     
  11. Treyhunna macrumors member

    Treyhunna

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2017
    #11
    Chip limitation

    USB 3.1 & Thunderbolt 3

    Leaked information shows that the high-end mobile and desktop SKUs with a separate Platform Controller Hub (PCH) have native support for USB 3.1 (likely means Gen 2 i.e. 10Gbps - source). However, the single-chip mobile SKUs including Core M will still be limited to USB 3.0 (or USB 3.1 Gen 1 i.e. 5Gbps), unfortunately (source).

    In other words, the only way to obtain USB 3.1 support would be to use an additional controller, such as Intel's Alpine Ridge chip, which also supports Thunderbolt 3. That is unlikely, though, because the logic board simply has no space for an additional chip. If Apple had plans for Thunderbolt support in the MacBook, then I would argue that the first generation would already have had Thunderbolt support. This means that the 2017 MacBook will continue to be limited to USB 3.0 speeds like the first two generations. Cannonlake may bring native USB 3.1 support to Core M in 2018 MacBook, but there isn't any info on that yet.
     
  12. KPOM macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #12
    One difference is that the Core M benefits more from performance improvements than some of the higher wattage chips. The Kaby Lake m5 and m7 equivalents actually get Core i5/i7 branding.
     
  13. touchbearr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2016
    #13
    April 18th via Press release, you read it here first. ;)
     
  14. arnette macrumors 6502

    arnette

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2002
    Location:
    Manhattan Beach
    #14
    Bummer.
    But if they bring over the gen 2 butterfly keyboard and give a spec bump I'd be willing to throw down some money for it. I bought a refurb 2016 1.2 M5 a few weeks ago but ended up returning it. It didn't perform any faster than my 2011 MBA 11" and I missed the keyboard travel when typing. A teensy more value out of the system and I'd buy again.
     
  15. KPOM macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #15
    That would be broadly consistent with last year.
     
  16. T-Bob75 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2016
    Location:
    London UK
    #16
    I've found a used 2016 M7 Macbook with full apple care until April 2019 going for less the retail.

    Is it worth waiting for the new 2017? Or just going for the current generation?
     
  17. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

    c0ppo

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    #17
    I had the same dilemma a month ago. Since kaby lake won't bring native tb3 support, and performance wise it will be a minor update, I've pulled the trigger on m5 version with applecare until 2019 may.

    I see no reason to wait for new version and pay way more for a minor update. Applecare is just one more thing that sealed the deal :)
     
  18. wishxmaster macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Location:
    Turkey
    #18
    I just ordered mine yesterday. Hope they dont release soon :S :))
     
  19. T-Bob75 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2016
    Location:
    London UK
    #19
    I did the same and got the 2016 M7 I saw for £480 less than retail with Apple Care until 2019. I was look for a 15", but I confess I love the form factor of the 12" more. Planning on getting a monitor for it as well with the saving, probably one of those LG Ultrafine 4k's.

    I hope it will be faster than my 2009 Macbook Pro core 2 duo. Mainly using Illustrator and Photoshop.

     
  20. Dunbar macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #20
    I'm not sure why you guys care when the Macbook gets updated. You pay your money and you take your chances. If you can get a 2016 for $300+ off brand new your downside is limited if you decide to sell it later this year. It's not like you're going to take a $500-600 bath six months from now. It's always best to be patient and wait for the update to make your decision. It wasn't easy but that's what I did last year.
     
  21. olisones macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #21
    Can I ask where you got such a good price for the m7? I can't seem to find that good of a deal anywhere!
     
  22. T-Bob75 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2016
    Location:
    London UK
    #22
    Ebay, saw lots of pictures and got lots of information. I would imagine it was just luck, as it sounds like the new model may be out soon. It's got full Apple care so it seemed like a no brainer.

     
  23. mag2001 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #23
    They are probably going to update soon seeing all of these sales on them at retail stores. Best Buy has them again for $300 off.
     
  24. T-Bob75 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2016
    Location:
    London UK
    #24
    Thought I would give a quick update. I got my 2016 rMB M7 this week and I've been setting it up with Adobe CC programs, mostly Indesign, photoshop and illustrator. First impressions, unbelievable. Coming from a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo its like night and day. Completely surprised at how much punch such a small laptop has. It changes the way you work, its so light I find myself using it everywhere.

    Its not right for everyone, but I'm completely blown away by mine.
     
  25. Sam_S macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2016
    Location:
    Everywhere
    #25
    Does anyone think they will release a 13" version?
     

Share This Page