Release date in non-US countries

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArcticBlue00, Nov 11, 2016.

1. ArcticBlue00, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016

ArcticBlue00 macrumors member

ArcticBlue00

I'm in South Korea, and the new MacBook Pros are not released here yet.

Is there anyone that is waiting for the release in other countries? When is the expected release date in your country?

No news here in South Korea...

2. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

There is no "release" to speak of, there's just different delivery dates, though I don't think that's dependent on geography, it's more dependent on your place in the production queue. They're all being shipped from China after all.

Or do you mean to say that the new macbook pro is not "announced" in South Korea yet?

3. ArcticBlue00, Nov 11, 2016

ArcticBlue00 thread starter macrumors member

ArcticBlue00

In South Korea and Taiwan (and maybe some other countries), you can see the new MacBook Pros are announced in the online Apple stores, but they are not taking pre-orders at the moment. (There are the order pages but the 'Buy' buttons are not available yet.)

http://www.apple.com/kr/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro
    http://www.apple.com/tw/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro

I'm not sure why, but whenever Apple's new products are announced, it always takes several weeks in those countries to be able to actually place orders. In the case of South Korea, I heard it is related with some kind of certification process required by the government.

4. asoksevil, Nov 11, 2016

asoksevil macrumors 6502

I can confirm that in the case of Taiwan it's about the EMC testing, regulated by the BSMI.

I actually got in contact with them regarding the 2016 MacBook Retina update.

"Product testing is required to be conducted by BSMI-recognized designated laboratories. To complete both EMC and safety testing for laptops, it usually takes laboratories around 2 weeks depending on testing results and schedules. After passing EMC and safety testing, product certification should be carried out, and it would take another 1-2 weeks for BSMI to review those test reports and technical documents of laptops to approve and issue the product certificate for the manufacturer or importer. As soon as the certificate is issued, products under mandatory inspection scope are allowed to be imported and released on the market."

It takes about 4-5 weeks after the original U.S release day to reach the Taiwan market. I guess Apple doesn't want to ship early prototypes so there are no leaks but this is painful. Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore apparently don't need this testing.

5. dapork macrumors regular

dapork

Same thing here in Greece. Other EU countries at least have an Apple store that allows you to place orders. On the retail store website here it still says "coming soon". For some reason one of the subsidiaries of the main retailer does seem to have a buy option, but I haven't gone through with it. I want to make my purchase using two different cards and I don't know how to do that online. I think I'm gonna head to one of these stores next week anyway, just to ask for some updates. If they have an vague idea of delivery time I may even place an order or go for a refurbished rMBP. Mostly I'm just waiting to see some reviews.