Release date of iOS 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by butters149, Jun 18, 2010.

1. butters149 macrumors 6502

Just wondering but when is the release date for the iOS 4.0? is it this monday along with the iPhone and them?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

3. Moxofien macrumors newbie

Probably September when the iPods normally get refreshed, but I'm no macrumors expert. But I wish it were tomorrow. :D

4. Blakeco123 macrumors regular

Blakeco123

For iPad in fall. For iPhone and iPod touch june 24. It will be free for all devices.

5. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

i'd say this sounds about right. apple normally, from what i've observed, release products early in the quarter. probably to keep profits up for that quarter. but i really have no idea. so take this worth a grain of salt.

6. JSAYER macrumors member

Im pretty sure Steve said the release date in the WWDC Keynote?

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Not for the iPad.

8. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

He said June 24th, but that's only for the iPhone version. I'm guessing mid-September. I'm sure there's tweaking to be done for the iPad version.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Actually, June 21st for iPhone/iPod touch. Fall for iPad.

10. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, he said fall. That could be anywhere from September 1 - November 30.

12. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Well, technically, anywhere from 9/21 to 12/21.

13. gopherhockey macrumors regular

gopherhockey

The bigger question is when will it go out to developers. Once this happens we might have a clue as to the timing.

I would think this will happen once the iPhone 4 rat race dies down. As excited as I am for the new phone I'm more excited for iOS 4 for the iPad... and am hoping app developers get back on the iPad bandwagon soon.

14. otis123 macrumors 6502a

We will be closer once apple puts out the SDK for the devs, I bet that happens in early august, and then the GM will come out in early september.

15. fjfjfjfj macrumors regular

Will the iPad get multitasking in the update? I was under the impression that the reason the older iPhones couldn't take advantage of multitasking was their 256 MB of RAM and the iPad has 256 MB of RAM.t

16. mbell75 macrumors 6502

So if I jailbreak my iPad, I still have to wait for the official release in the fall? I thought someone would have a working hack in the next few weeks?

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

A hack that gets an operating system released early?

18. gopherhockey macrumors regular

gopherhockey

The 3GS is supposed to be able to multitask with iOS4 and it has 256mb as well. I don't think its a matter of not working, but just not working as well.

Interesting the Ipad didn't go with more from the start.

19. MathiasVH macrumors regular

Why?

Can anybody please explain why Apple needs 3 months to make an iPad
    -version of iOS 4? Do they really need this long? Seems extreme to me to be honest..

20. gopherhockey macrumors regular

gopherhockey

I'm betting they could... but they seem to want to spread things out - perhaps some of it is support related and some of it where they are putting the most attention of their employees.

Maybe they want to space it out so developers don't get hammered with both at one time as well...?

At least we're not talking Microsoft... they would promise fall and it would be summer 2011 at best when we'd see something released.

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why don't you send a really whiney email to Steve. I'm sure he'll send you a copy in advance.

Or maybe it's because iPad already has several of the features the iPhone and iPod touch will be getting in OS 4. It's most likely that iPad will get on a similar schedule as the iPod touch and will be receiving some of the same features in September along with the iPod refresh.

22. SebZen macrumors 6502

Its so that people who bought ipad will be all excited for ios 4 but then realize they arent getting it for another 3 months, and apple hopes they will maybe. Uy a new iphone with ios 4 to quench their thirst.

23. mbell75 macrumors 6502

My iPad runs the iPhone's OS. Why cant someone take tomorrows release and make it for the iPad? Sorry, I am used to Android. Devs can take an update from a completely different phone and make it work for another in no time. Seems to me taking the same OS and making it run on the iPad should be pretty simple.

24. Flipstar macrumors member

iPad != iPhone

25. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They run very different builds of the same operating system. No, it's not that simple.