Release Date of Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joehack, Sep 11, 2007.

1. joehack macrumors member

Hello

Is the exact release date of Leopard known? I've only heard October 2007.

Jochen

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Thats all we know...it will probably be late October...

3. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

I'm saying 2008.

Just because I'm waiting to buy my first mac and the wait is killing me, so I know it will just be delayed or something silly like that.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Jobs said October, so I'm betting on October 31 at 11:59:59pm EST. :p :cool:

Seriously though, I want it released when it's ready to be released. I would like it to be as bug-free as possible when it ships, for everyone's sake.

5. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

There is going to be a 'Rob Zombie Director's Cut' midnight October 30th and it will attempt to explain the 'origins' of the original delay.:p

6. theGAPkid macrumors regular

lol - your in the same position as me - Im still waiting to buy my first mac and the wait is excruciating :(:(:(

lol - I do hope its soon though!!!! :apple:

7. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Usually Apple sets a counter on the main page one month before release of each new version of the OS, so I think we are more than one month before release.

8. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

It will be announced in October for release end of November :eek:

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I sure hope not! :eek: More likely, the release date will be announced at the Paris Expo and will end up being later in October. :cool:

10. will0407 macrumors 6502a

the free ipod deal runs until 30th october. does anyone think that this could indicate that leopard will be released on 31st? As that will mean apple can ship any imacs ordered on or before 30th with tiger and clear out stock.

It was just an idea that popped into my head, as I'm gonna order an imac, but was looking to wait until leopard is released and get it with the ipod touch (£85 rebate) and leopard pre-installed. I have no need to order right away, as I have a MacBook which I can make do with, but if leopard isn't gonna be available with the imac/ipod deal, then I may as well order now.

11. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Could be, but the free iPod offer ends the 16th here, so who knows. :p

12. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

As I've said in the 10,000,000 other "Leopard Release Date" threads, look at the history of OS X releases.

The past several versions of OS X have all been released on a Friday @ 6PM (local time). That way, Apple stores and resellers can host release parties.

Now, look at what happens lately when Apple announces a release timeframe. It's usually near the end of the period. So, October 26 is the last Friday in October.

October 26 @ 6PM (local time).

13. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Might be earlier than you think. Why? Apple knows theres a large
    group (like me) who are waiting to buy a new computer on its release.

14. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

October 1st @ 00:00:01 AM

....I had to go against the grain with this.
    Just because.

15. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Judging from what I've heard from various internal people, I'm betting its going to be a release in either the last or second to last week of October. As RBMaraman said, it'll probably be a Friday release date too. So that narrows it down to the last two Fridays in October -- October 19th or October 26th. With the current state of internal seeds, the GM won't be ready to do to the production lines in time for an early October release.

16. edrixc macrumors newbie

Will the prices go up when Leopard is the OS being used for the macs? I think that would also be a major buying decision for consumers.

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

In the past, when new OSes have been released by Apple the price has never gone up.

18. edrixc macrumors newbie

That's good to hear. Man! I've been roaring to buy the new MBP but I'm still thinking of whether to wait for leopard. But then if I wait, What if Leopard gets delayed and delayed then released in December? and i end up not having a new MBP till that time. Haha. This is stressing me out. :apple::apple::apple:

19. edrixc macrumors newbie

What if it gets released on the 5th of october? that would be amusing. mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. Get it? 10.5 October 5. :) Anyone think that's possible? :apple:

20. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Good Observation there,my friend. That seems quite possible, and 10.5 is also a Friday. :apple:

21. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

It always makes me wonder why these big companies don't just learn and over-estimate launch dates by a couple months. Because then they would not only look good for staying on schedule, they would look even better for being AHEAD of schedule.

22. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

No, that does not seem possible. At all. For a number of reasons.

One, the Leopard build has not even gotten seemingly close to Gold Master. Even if it WAS Gold Master today, in its current form, it has traditionally taken Apple about 2 weeks to get them made, packed & shipped to stores.

So even if Apple was going to announce the build they have today is absolutely perfect and the final candidate for release, it still wouldn't arrive in stores until October 8th (2 weeks from today).

This is assuming that the current build is perfect and the Gold Master (which it undoubtably is not).

23. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

Buzz kill... :D Just kidding... good points!

24. adamtce macrumors member

someone told me, that Steve would be making an announcement about Leopard when he returns from the Paris Expo.

not sure if its true, but i would think so.