Release event for 10.6?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kristoffer4, Jun 30, 2009.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Hey. Was there a release event for leopard when it came out in sept.? :cool:
    And did apple announce other products at this event? I think we will get a new itunes in 64 bit before 10.6 is released. Maybe with some UI changes that makes it look more like the UI on the iphone (ipod).

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So you want your desktop iTunes application to look like a list of text.

Ooookay.

No, there will be no release event, and nothing new is expected to be released WITH Snow Leopard, but new iPods will come out earlier in the month.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Leopard came out in November if I remember correctly. There was no event for it. They just announced the date and that was the date it went on sale. Some stores had some special stuff going on at the store, that's about it. No big release Apple Press Event or anything like that though.

You should expect an iPod event in September though, that's pretty much guaranteed.

4. larkost macrumors 6502a

10.5 can't use 64bit GUI applications, and there will not be a 64bit GUI framework for Carbon. And since iTunes is written in Carbon (to make it easier to port to Windows), I think that it is a safe bet that iTunes will stay 32bit for a while. Anyways, there is not really any general advantages for iTunes to be written in 64bit. There is only the slight possible bump from running the processor with more registers that are in the x86_64 spec, but for streaming data like audio this is likely to be a non-event.

5. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Why the patronizing tone?
    I meant the ipod app interface for playing songs. The progress bar in itunes is still in black / white. It is blue on the iphone.

6. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

hey I totally forgot that it was almost time for new ipods I need a new one my dad stole my touch :mad:

7. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

how can text have a tone?

8. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

It can when you don't use neutral words. A thing like "ooookayyyy" is not neutral.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Fortunately, I left off the extra 'y's.

Making the iTunes desktop app look like the iPhone app would be going backwards from Apple's current design aesthetic.

Illuminous is not glossy; this is what we'll eventually have system-wide:

Attached Files:

10. Amdahl macrumors 65816

10.5 runs 64-bit GUI apps just fine. Try running Chess on your computer right now. (If you have a 64-bit CPU) Yes, Carbon will not ever have a 64-bit version, but Cocoa is already in there. Remember, Apple has been selling us '64-bit!!!!!!@!' since 10.3+G5 Youtube. Then they sold us 10.4 (64-bit!!*@!*!*!), and then they sold 10.5 (64-bit@!@@*@*@@!!!!), and now they are pushing 10.6 (64-bit!!*!*!*!!@@#$!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnEbPm8mATQ