Release of 10.6.1?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MythicFrost, Aug 29, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm wondering when the release of 10.6.1 will be, and how long does it take before the updated OS is shipped on disc? I'd like to buy say 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 from the store on disc so I'm installing the updated version.

Kind Regards

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no one really knows

why not buy now and update when it comes out?

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Get 10.6.0 NOW! It's just about as perfect as it gets already! I can't even begin to imagine what they'll fix with 10.6.1 or even 10.6.2.

To me, 10.6.0 feels more stable and a lot less buggy than 10.5.8.

Just buy it!

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

As early as next week, or as late as October.

They probably won't put 10.6.1 on any DVDs.

5. userblah macrumors member

Based on the previous releases of 10.x.1, I would say between September 11th and 18th.

6. iBunny macrumors 65816

I am waiting for 10.6.1 to come out before I install SL. Mainly because I havent backed everything up yet, and by the time I do, and get everything ready 10.6.1 will be out anyway.

7. wopper macrumors newbie

Do they ship 10.6.1 on disk? I don't think so they made a lot of DVD's now so if they all sold out they probably look for a new batch.

With the current disk 10.6 you can also update to 10.6.1 when its released via Update.

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

They don't always ship every update of the OS. For example, 10.5, 10.5.1, 10.5.4 and 10.5.6 were the only versions of Leopard ever sold, the rest were just the standard downloadable updates.

An even better example - there were 11 updates to Tiger. And yet only the initial 10.4 release, 10.4.3 and 10.4.6 were ever available on a retail disc.

9. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

10. janfandk macrumors newbie

I installed SL yesterday and really look forward to 10.6.1. I have been a Mac-user for a lot of years and I never experienced this before. What a disappointment. I call it Slow Leopard!

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wow! Snow Leopard is the most stable OS I've ever installed. Make sure you're not using old incompatible extensions or something. It shouldn't be disappointing you.

12. kolax macrumors G3

Expose is riddled with bugs - one is where the blue box appears as a ghost in some situations (a user here as captured it on video), another affects the multi-touch trackpad.

There is a lot of lag (I did a clean install) - while sometimes it is very responsive, generally it is sluggish. Safari beachballs when loading a detailed webpage occasionally.

There is a lot of things that need to be sorted out.

I'm not slating Apple, as no OS release is perfect, and Snow Leopard's release in terms of bugs is fairly acceptable compared to Leopard's introduction.

I'd hope 10.6.1 would be out very soon. It wouldn't surprise me if they had internal builds ready for devs to test as soon as 10A432 hit DVD pressing.

13. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Safari's QT plugin has crashed a couple of times on the Apple site :p... but this is precisely my point... the PLUGIN crashed, NOT Safari! :D

14. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Likewise. I'm back on Leo until some updates land.

15. alleycat macrumors regular

I'd wait for 10.6.9. Good Lord, this is worst Mac OS I can remember and I've been using Mac OS for over 20 years.

16. Aadhil macrumors regular

Maybe it's just me but it seems that people who did a clean install have more problems with SL than those who did the upgrade.

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What are you guys doing to your computers? I've been using Macs for about 13 years now and I've had 12 Macs and this is the BEST OS I've seen in all that time. I'm a big fan of Snow Leopard. Such a needed release. I'm glad that Apple has ironed out most of the long lasting bugs that were in previous versions of OS X.

18. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I've tried both a clean install and an upgrade and get the same problems. Slow/choppy animations and spaces, and no printer drivers.

19. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

What are we doing? We're installing Snow Leopard. What are you doing?

Just because it's fine for you doesn't mean it's fine for everyone.

I've tried a completely clean install, no backups, no Time Machine pulling my data back, and it still isn't right.

I'm as much of a fanboy as the next guy, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

20. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

Well, I did an upgrade, as i couldn't make a bootable copy for a fresh install.
    And apart from a few Apps not working (Ones that I never used anyway), a very useful quicklook plugin not working, and no update as the last one was in 2007. And my printer not working due to no Drivers, so I can't print off my college work (And you have a print limit at college, who knows what you get, or anything :p)

It went far better then when i setup a Vista machine, last year.
    (Oh the pain. I get stressed just thinking about using the damn machine, despite my gaming tendencies. If only I had a decent graphics card in my macbook, or the Mac Pro...)

Ivan P, My Mac came with 10.5.2.
    And I didn't update to 10.5.8 before the upgrade (The router kept disconnecting my from the internet)

21. alleycat macrumors regular

Exactly, I imagine there are lots of people who are having issues. The newspaper and magazine reviewers are probably using the newest of Macs, so they wouldn't see many issues or have any to report about in their reviews. We always expect Apple to produce high quality software and hardware to match. To be honest there's nothing wrong at all with my hardware. It's just this particular piece of OS software does NOT work properly with all Intel based machines. And crimony, a 3 year old Mac Pro!!!! Snow Leopard couldn't cut it.

22. HBOC macrumors 68020

im wondering if you install snow leopard on top of 10.5.8 if that would make any difference for the people having problems?

For instance, if you do a fresh install, then do all the required updates to 10.5.8; and then install SL on top of that, if that would remedy any of the problems. I haven't installed SL yet, but have the Dev build on here. Was on vacation for the last 4 weeks, so i haven't taken the time to install the retail copy of SL, although the leopard is looking at me, ready to pounce if i don't install it.

23. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

The thing is, I didn't have 5.8 installed. could it be a problem for either fresh installs or Upgrade installs from 5.8?

24. alleycat macrumors regular

In the past that was the way to go. But for me upgrading from 10.5.8 or clean install, it didn't make a difference. Snow Leopard didn't work properly.

25. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Well after reading a number of threads on this issue I still don't know what is the best way to restore your third-party apps and user data after a clean install. I absolutely would not look forward to reinstalling everything and/or copying piecemeal from a backup. That sounds like it would result in many headaches.

I think I would rather do the upgrade and only look at a clean install as a last resort if there were major problems.