Release of compliant drivebay Velociraptor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Velin, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

As most of you know, WD's relatively new Velociraptor drives have a major flaw: they don't fit into swappable hard drive bays, including the Mac Pro. For example:

I understand WD is working to resolve this major flaw. And WD may release compliant Velociraptors -- or a new heatsink -- that'll fit drive bays.

Does anyone know when the release is going to happen? Soon, not soon?

(I know there are a couple workarounds, e.g. unscrew fixed SATA connector and plug into the Vraptor, aftermarket drive mount. But for such an expensive VRaptor drive -- ~ $1 per gig of internal storage, a serious premium -- we shouldn't have to waste time or money fixing such a stupid flaw. The drive bays are an enormous plus for Mac and PC power users and I am not tooling around with connectors to fix WD's mistake; it defeats the purpose of drivebays.)

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm interested in the answer as well. ;)
    Searching has revealed nothing, unfortunately. :( :(

3. pprior macrumors 65816

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

I think they were "sleeping at the wheel", as it were. :D :D

5. Velin thread starter macrumors 65816

Velin

Well check this out:

New Velociraptor

Now. will this new Velociraptor fit in the Mac Pro tower?

[​IMG]

6. interairproxima macrumors newbie

Looks like this New Velociraptor is a 2.5" drive, so you could maybe mount it in a 3.5" frame?
    IDK if the connectors are still in the wrong places though.

7. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Problem with the 2.5 is the mounting holes still wont match, unless you want to do some drilling, etc. :eek:

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

The location of the connectors are critical for any drive mounted in a backplane. A number of cases for pc's as well as the Mac Pro have switched to this type of mount, so it's important for individual machines as well.

WD dropped the ball on the initial Velociraptor, and for $300, most people expect it to be compliant. :eek:

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

There's a workaround. And unless you work with heavy-duty uncompressed HD at high resolutions or run serious servers, you don't need a Velocirapor. Even if you do, you still don't; several Spinpoint F1s in RAID 0 would suffice (and you'd need more than one VR in RAID 0 anyway).

It might not be more energy or space-effective, but it'd be more cost-effective.

10. m1stake macrumors 68000

What else is there? If he's aware of the work around but refuses to use it, that's his own prerogative. If he won't do that, there isn't anything this forum can do for him :(

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

I Agree.

12. FireSlash macrumors member

the 2.5" backplane is identical to the 3.5" one, all you'd need to do is build a set of drive rails that give the proper offset inside the 3.5" cage.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

They make a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter for laptop HDD's, but might work. :)
    A few mods may be necessary though. :eek:

14. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

15. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

16. m1stake macrumors 68000

17. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes. A review of the MaxUpgrades VelociRaptor adapter (say that 5 times fast :p) was recently posted on BareFeats.

19. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I also heard at some point that WD was aware of the goof and was thinking of making a new, 3.5" bay compliant velociraptor. Anybody else heard anything about this? Could just be a rumor, but if it is true, I think I'd hold out for it...

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

A 3.5" backplane compliant Velociraptor has been mentioned/ eluded to in an article or two. (Google VR reviews). WD will likely wait until existing units are sold down/out before making any formal press/product release. So when, is the real question, and they are keeping quiet for now. :(