Release of iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouieSamman, Jun 19, 2011.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I'm going on a cruise on September 19th.

Do you think the iPhone 5 would be release by then?

The iPhone 5 camera is going to have an upgraded camera and specs to bring out better results in my pictures and it would be great to have on my vacation.

I, at the moment, have the iPhone 4. Although the iPhone 4 camera is great it produces lots of noise and I hope that the iPhone 5 would bring out even sharper images AND less noise.

People are saying that it's months away and I believe thats because they know there is going to be 1 last keynote before we head into next year (2012).

So do you think I can get the iPhone 5 before I leave for the cruise?

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

When is the lat keynote of year? September what?

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Nope.

But what do I know, I don't work for Apple nor do I have any insider information (as a matter of fact, none of us do).

iOS 5 won't be released until Fall, this year it starts on Sept 23rd.

4. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Well I am hoping that theres someone who knows about the pattern that Apple goes by with all of their presentation every year.

I'm not hoping to have someone who works inside apple to spill the beans for me and say the exact date or anything.

Maybe a look at last year to see if or when they made another keynote after WWDC.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

First of all, how do you know it will have an upgraded camera? Secondly, It probably won't be out it time.

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

If the keynote is early then ya it might be released If it's announced by Sept 29

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i do not think you'll see an iphone 5 before the start of your cruise. apple announced a fall release date for ios 5, so i don't think you'll see an iphone 5 before then. the first day of fall is september 23rd.

what i do know is that you can pick up a great point and shoot camera today, and it will take much better pictures than an iphone 4 or the next iphone.

8. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

the iPod event has typically been early in september.
    September 12, 2006
    September 5, 2007
    September 9, 2008
    September 9, 2009
    September 1, 2010

But given the unusualness of this year... who knows...

9. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Look at the top of your macrumors menu bar for "Buyer's Guide".

or click here.

That should pretty much meet your request.

/thread

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple has in the past held another Keynote after WWDC in September around the time the Back to School (Buy a Mac and get a free iPod) promotion has ended to introduce new iPods, this year that has all changed.

Apple did not introduce new iPhone hardware this year at WWDC and they are not giving away free iPods anymore with their Back to School promotion (which is scheduled to end on Sept 20, 2011). So this years September (Fall) event is kind of a mystery.

That being said, Apple normally (if you can define normally) releases its newest iPhone hardware 2-3 weeks after its been announced.

I'm sorry to say but I don't think you'll be getting the new iPhone before your trip.

11. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Because of all the rumors of them coming out with an 8 MP camera and a better sensor.

Why wouldn't they? they would get bad rep if they didn't. They always improved the camera in every iPhone why stop now?

Thats true. It would be best to release iOS 5 along with the iPhone 5 but here is the thing when it comes down to buying a point and shoot camera instead of using my iPhone.

Editing would have to be done on a computer, you can't upload the pictures straight from the device.

That is why I am sticking to my iPhone as my stand alone camera. You can edit and crop your photos and upload it to Facebook, Flickr, or Twitter straight from the device.

Much easier than a Point and shoot camera that are out today.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

More megapixels don't make a better picture. It means a bigger picture. As far as I know, it could actually result in more noise than before. They could update it, but rumours are often wrong.

13. tobyfarmer macrumors newbie

I agree. More megapixels can compromise the quality of pictures, particularly on a smartphone camera, where both the lens and sensor are usually very small. The end is result is a larger, more zoomable file, but low quality and very noisy.

Never trust rumours. And although it's possible, don't believe that there will infact be a better camera. And as far as the release date, who knows.

14. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I know it's not always the case, but I'm not sure Apple would increase its megapixels at the sacrifice of its sensor quality. It would entirely defeat the purpose of the upgrade. Look at other phones on the market with 8 MP cameras. They still don't have nearly as good of a sensor as the iPhone 4.

Then again, the average consumer may not even be aware of that. They most likely just see the MP number and think that it's better because its got a bigger number. Tried and true way of disproving that would be stepping into the AMD vs Intel processor discussion.

15. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Oh I know about that.

But more megapixels along with a good lens is what I expect and would be a decent upgrade to the camera.

16. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

You don't want more megapixels. the 5 mega pixels is fine. What you need a better sensor for low light and high iso. Also some time of image steady software would be nice (I highly doubt that will be included).

Iphone camera as of now, is still one of the best cameras. I have taken way more photos with my iphone than my nikon d90. Because its more convenient to carry around.

17. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

The OP isn't completely off his rocker.

It doesn't sound like any of you have heard of this, but here it is. I remembered reading this in my Popular Science subscription one month, so i looked it up for all to see:

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/artic...uld-double-image-quality-your-cell-phone-pics

Quantam Dot Sensors. Says a possible late 2011 release in phones in the Article....hmmmm....late iPhone...PERHAPS? [/speculation]

18. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Even if the iPhone comes out before your trip, everyone is hoping for, and predicting 8 MP. This will result in more noise, not less. There is no easy way around this. If Apple leaves the pixel count then you end up with something similar to what you have now.

Apple is in a difficult position here. Leave the camera at the seemingly ideal 5 MP or play the numbers game with 8 MP and potentially make compromises to the image quality.

And more noise. What it needs is a bigger sensor but you can't add that without adding thickness to the whole device.