Release over GM?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ajt1995, Sep 18, 2013.

1. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

I have the GM, is there ANY reason to go to the official release? Will I get 7.0.1 OTA?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The GM is the official release, it is the exact same build. There is literally no difference.

Being on the GM is the same as if you updated today. Therefore, you will get any future OTA updates just the same.

3. ajt1995 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. That's all I needed to know. My friends wouldn't let me update their phones cause they wanted to be "official" um... It's THE SAME! But they got me wondering.

4. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Just in case your interested GM stands for golden master. This would always be the copy of an OS or software product which would be sent to manufacturers to pre-load to computers or on DVD before a products official launch. So you can assume that 99.9% of the time GM is the exact same version which will be released to the public. The only reason why this would not happen is if something was critically wrong with the release, which is very unlikely after the extensive testing a new OS undergoes before GM.

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

The GM is the public release. It's the same exact build and therefore there are no differences. You're running the public release so therefore you'll able to get any updates that succeed 7.0.

----------

Even then, a new GM would be released and that GM would be the public release. No matter what, the GM will always be the final release.

6. SimsDelt macrumors member

Stupid question. I have the GM ipsw file (that I got from my developer account thank you very much). My iPhone 5 was upgraded using alt-upgrade method in iTunes.

Can I use the same GM file and alt-upgrade my wife's iPhone 5 as well so I dont have to use Apple's servers to download the OTA file?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Or there would be an update available to be installed on top of the GM basically, like 7.0.1 (which is what seems like will be the case for iPhone 5C and 5S).

----------

You can do any of that really, but you might as well just use OTA or iTunes and let it upgrade to the public release through a simple check for upgrade essentially.

8. jtfolden macrumors 6502

jtfolden

Yes you can! ;-)

9. SimsDelt macrumors member

If apples servers weren't getting pounded I would go that route. I just didn't want to wait hours when I knew I had the exact same file on hand already.

10. ekg0477 macrumors newbie