Releasing integrated GPU memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lomaxfairchild, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Lomaxfairchild macrumors newbie

I've just noticed that the integrated GPU on my MacBook pro is still taking up 256MB of system memory even when I'm using the discrete card.

Is there any way of releasing it back to the system?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This seems to occur for both OSX and windows. There is no way to deallocate the ram used by the GPU. If you're running into a low memory situation, then perhaps upgrading the ram will be an option.

4. Lomaxfairchild thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick answer, folks.

Memory gets a bit tight running Virtual Machines. Unfortunately the price of 4BG RAM sticks precludes upgrading at the moment.

Ah well.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I'm in the same boat as you. I can max out my unibody MBP to 6gig (late 08 model) but I cannot afford to spend $$ on a 4 gig memory module.

I've been happy with lowering the memory allocation to the guest OS and that's helped a bit. I have a win7 VM and I give that 1.5 gig and a fedora 12 VM and that gets 1gig. In both instances the ram allocated is sufficient for what I do. Perhaps that's an option for you as well.

6. Lomaxfairchild thread starter macrumors newbie

I can live with it for now. Hopefully 2010 will be the year 4GB sticks become affordable!

7. Kerem72 macrumors newbie