Reliability of 3rd party SSD for MBP (2012)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdong217, Aug 28, 2012.

1. jdong217 macrumors newbie

Just recently purchased a new MBP 13" mid-2012 model and I'm highly considering buying an SSD. This is the one I was considering:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-830-S...=1346209508&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+830+512gb

I've never tinkered with hardware before and I think I might be in the minority that has never had a hard drive crash on me. I'm just a bit nervous that the SSD will crap out on me. I do back-up my hard drive relatively frequently but it's still obviously a serious hassle if it does happen.

So I just have a few questions:

1) Anyone have experiences with this particular SSD? How long should it last? To install it will I need the hard drive caddy tray that it's saying I should buy with it?

2) The link above says it comes with a laptop kit. Is that all I'll need to install it or am I going to need other tools too?

3) I want to purchase this SSD to have and install right when I get the new MBP. I've googled around for tutorials and it seems pretty straight forward but if there are different instructions for installing straight out of the box, could someone link me?

Thanks

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Samsung 830 seems to be the most popular choice.

I recommend;

Samsung 830 - Insanely fast and reliable.
    OCZ Vertex 4 - insanely fast but not as popular and more reliability issues they say
    Corsair Force GT/GS Series - very fast
    Intel 520 Series - very fast
    Crucial M4 - slowest of them all

3. jdong217 thread starter macrumors newbie

can anyone comment on the more technical question of installation?

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Thel laptop kit is fine.

Youll need a small phillips screw driver and OS X to install it. Remove Cover, Remove HDD, Add SSD, Install OS X.

5. maxwelltech macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

Also, don't forget the SanDisk Extreme. The 120GB is on sale right now on amazon for only $90.

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I recommend the samsung 830 not cause of speed cause there's faster ssd out but it's made 100% by samsung unlike the other ssd using the SandForce controller , samsung did the apple way make the hardware and in this case the firmware so If anything goes wrong you know it will be fix asap