Reliability of Force Touch Trackpad?

Texas_Toast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
How long has Apple's Force Touch Trackpad been out on the market?

How reliable/unreliable is it?

Two days into using my new retina MBP, the touchpad is stuck solid rendering my laptop useless.

Now I wonder if any retina MBP products are worth buying.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
How long has Apple's Force Touch Trackpad been out on the market?

How reliable/unreliable is it?

Two days into using my new retina MBP, the touchpad is stuck solid rendering my laptop useless.

Now I wonder if any retina MBP products are worth buying.
Take it back. Mine is working flawlessly for over a year now.

Reactions: arefbe

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
I'm not sure what you mean by "stuck" since it's force touch. But if there is a hardware problem, take it to Apple, as the others have said.

Reactions: CoastalOR

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Look the word up.
Really? My question was genuine. The word "stuck" usually refers to the physical condition of a moving part that doesn't move. No movement is necessary for a force touch trackpad to work. Maybe you don't understand the concept of force touch, as implemented on the trackpad.

And why would the condition of one trackpad lead you wonder "if any retina MBP products are worth buying"? Apple has sold millions of these. Don't you think we'd know if there were widespread problems?

Texas_Toast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
Really? My question was genuine. The word "stuck" usually refers to the physical condition of a moving part that doesn't move. No movement is necessary for a force touch trackpad to work. Maybe you don't understand the concept of force touch, as implemented on the trackpad.
Because it sounded sarcastic.

Stuck, as in when I go to use the touch pad it is ROCK SOLID - no clicks, no movements, nothing. STUCK like a steel rod in concrete.

And why would the condition of one trackpad lead you wonder "if any retina MBP products are worth buying"? Apple has sold millions of these. Don't you think we'd know if there were widespread problems?
I asked because maybe it is a widespread, and well-know issue...

And if it is a common problem, then I wouldn't risk getting another MBP.

Not sure why everything I buy is broken - Chinese manufacturing is certainly one leading cause.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Because it sounded sarcastic.
OK. Thinking this through, I don't think there are any System Settings that would take away the vibration, and the trackpad itself doesn't move because it really is force sensing. Perhaps the haptic engine isn't working, which would require warranty service. Or maybe there is a problem with a software trackpad driver that a system restore might fix.

If none of those options seem worth trying and there is an Apple store nearby, take it in and let them work with it. If not, you might have to arrange warranty service with Apple customer support.

I've never heard of this problem before. What happens if you boot to the recovery partition? If it works there, you'd probably solve the problem by reinstalling the OS. If it doesn't work there, it's probably hardware.