reliability of MBA's SSD: Toshiba vs. Samsung

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mayuka, Jul 8, 2012.

?

Had you trouble with your MBA SSD before?

1. I have a MacBook Air 2009 and no problems so far.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have a MacBook Air 2010 and no problems so far.

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I have a MacBook Air 2011 and no problems so far.

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  4. The SSD had errors or failed.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Hi.

Everybody is talking about speed and which one is the fast. Why does nobody talk about reliability? Anandtech wrote that Toshiba has had it's problems with their Sandforce controller in the past. (Especially when it came to sleep, hibernate and these things.) Does this also account for Apple or do they use their own SSD-controller?

I'm still puzzled whether I should choose a MBA. I do a lot of harddisk intense work. Speed certainly would be welcomed. But I don't want to replace the SSD after just a year.

What are your experiences?

2. trondah macrumors 6502

And what would be the point of comparing different models? The 2011 drives are different than this year's.

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

Back in 2010, the Toshiba SSD's were slower, but more reliable. May be different now, but my 2010 13-UMBA with Toshiba SSD's is holding up well.

4. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Too bad MR doesn't have a face-palm Smilie. It would come in handy with this post.

Even if Toshiba still had the problems you refer to, how would that affect you? If you're doing 'harddisk intense work' then, by definition, your MBA would not be going to sleep or hibernating.