Reliability polls, research?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marinus, Apr 25, 2014.

1. marinus macrumors newbie

HI-
    20 years of windoze and i'm a'wearying. I've avoided Mac to date due to cost, lack of customizing options [a permanent Apple blind spot- i'll bet it's due to branding, look n' feel, scream!], and to my denial [the glitches will die down any year now].
    Both have plusses and pitfalls, that's a non-issue. What is central is almost never aired, simple reliability/stability. The proud Mac claim is "It Just Works" [more than windoze].
    Great- but where's the research, that quantities it? When i talk to tecs they say Mac'ers just get different problems, not fewer.
    Seriously: if you know of independent research done [not by MS or Apple fanboys] i'd really appreciate hearing about it. Thanking you in advance...
    Marni

PS: What's the best Mac desktop customization site?

2. satcomer, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

20 years as a Windows user? How was Windows 8 for you?

The cheapest Mac is the Mac Mini. That's to expensive for you is it?

Well there are tons of article on Google Search for articles like this one from InfoWorld called Deathmatch review: Windows 8.1 vs. OS X Mavericks.

You should really get the easy to read book Switching to a Mac: Mavericks Edition.

PS - Depends. What customization? Be a little more specific, software or hardware or both?

3. marinus thread starter macrumors newbie

hi satcomer

Windows 8? Dunno- only reluctantly 'upgraded' to W7.

I seem to have been vaguer than i thought: it's not about cost for me, it's about bounce per ounce, so Mac Mini would be fine, if it wasn't old tech, and if Apple wasn't quietly letting it die.
    Customizing: as in interface [sorry, should've said so!].
    I want out of windoze hell, but not just to trade it for a different, but equally painful hell.
    Just compared Amazon.com's reviews of Windows 7, and OS X. Mac is 2% ahead.
    Unless one of you true believers out there can point out some actual research showing Mac is less bug and inconvenience laden, i'm concluding that 'better the devil you know...". Certainly cheaper anyway. Just thinking out loud- hey- thanx for writing.

Skeleton walks into a bar, orders a beer and a mop.

4. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

For someone who appears to be skeptical about whether OSX might be an improvement over Windows, it's both interesting and telling you refer to your current OS as "windoze hell". Btw, I've never heard OSX referred to as "a painful hell"; an OS with certain limitations perhaps, but never "a painful hell".

I personally don't believe there's a clearly better OS, but rather different OSs for different people and requirements. The last PC I ever owned ran Windows XP, back in 2001, but after tasting what used to be called MacOSX, I never looked back, however I admittedly don't need the extensive customization options Windows offers, like some other users might, so it's totally personal and subjective.

What I can tell you is, that for my particular use, OSX is a relative 'dream' to use, compared to what I had before. It does most things very well, with minimal problems or hiccups, and larger issues are usually thoroughly handled by Apple via software updates, and mostly in a timely fashion.

You can read all the reviews you want about comparing OSs, but many have some sort of bias to either camp, depending on the reviewer's perspective. The only way for you to find out if OSX is for you, is to try it out for yourself.

You may find its simplicity addictive, and the 'learning curve' to be less than expected. The ball is in your court.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's my $.02.

First there's really no need to call Windows, Windoze any more. Perhaps back in the 90s and 2000s that was when the platform wars were going hot and heavy but now. Not so much.

Both platforms are great and stable. I think you can easily make the claim that OSX it just works. Simple out of the box you off and running. The same can be said with Windows as well. Though you typically need to download some antivirus software and deal with a lot of updates. When I reload an OS on VM or on a machine, one of the first things I have to do is apply all the patches and security updates from MS. With OSX there's not so much of that.

Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages, I like the file explorer in windows and while the Finder is ok, I prefer windows file explorer.

I think a Mac mini is a great computer to get started in with OSX though it all depends on what apps you are planning on using. OSX/Macs are not the best at gaming so if you're heavy gamer keep that mind.

OSX is pretty locked down from a customization perspective so you'll not see too much in that sector.

6. marinus thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear 2 cents

If you didn't know of any such research/polls/surveys why did you bother writing!?

I call it windoze because if i named it more accurately i'd be using swear words.

Both Windows and Apple are "great and stable OS's? So, what's life like in your alternate dimension? Less sarcastically, you have my sincere envy and congratulations on your great luck with computers. Others have different experiences; trust me on this...

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I hope they don't let it die. Besides you could get one and add 2nd hard drive and then make you own DIY Mavericks Fusion Drive (here are some videos for installing a 2nd hard drive)

One thing I do know about is GeekTool.

8. marinus thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey People?

Hope this doesn't sound rude but...

IF YOU DON'T KNOW OF ANY INDEPENDENT RESEARCH ON SATISFACTION LEVELS FOR WINDOWS7 AND OS-X, please don't write.
    Thanks.

"Why are computers are like the old testament god? Lots of rules and very unforgiving!"

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a customer satisfaction survey that might be what you are looking for.

[​IMG]

I really think some of these "which is best" arguments are pointless though. If you look at that chart the scores are really pretty close. Just go try out Windows and a Mac and use what you prefer.

10. boast macrumors 65816

boast

The one by squaretrade

[​IMG]

Pretty sure this was on all the tech news sites a couple months ago

11. marinus, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

marinus thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear Weaselboy

Thank you thank you!! Hard data at last!
    The survey, that you did every confused newbie a service by calling attention to, shows only a minor lead, and seems to conflict with Amazon.com's rating of W7 and OS-X popularity #'s [78% vs. 80% approval rating]. 2% or 8% better, meh; you're right- flip a coin, go with the sexiest logo.
    You've swayed me towards Mac but Apple's clear reluctance to renew the Mac Mini is the deal-breaker for me [They dislike offering an economy model, hate competing with their more profitable iMac's]. And I love the power/portability mix of so-called "Mini-PC" form factor.
    I see both Microsoft and Apple as, to be polite, conservative. They both focus on glitz, jazzy features and under-do basic simplicity/usability/stability.
    Why? The latter doesn't become painful till later. If they don't attend to core usability Google will Chrome them both to death... [Mozilla is already finding out about that!].
    Cheers-

Marinus

A special joke, just for you: "Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"