Reliable 16GB SDHC cards?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CMD is me, Aug 27, 2008.

1. CMD is me macrumors 6502

Other than $andisk, what brands are just as reliable... or is it better to pony up the extra cash to be safe?

2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Transcend are better value for money in my opinion. That said I'd go for Sandisk if the price difference didn't bother me, but it does, so I'm a Transcend man now.

Andrew.

3. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

16GB SDHC cards: Patriot, A-Data and PNY all seem to be around $65 where as Kingston class 4 is $85 and Sandisk closer to $100.

OR you can get 8GB Sandisk class 6 cards for under $40 now... which brings up another question: for 2 hours of recording, is it better to use 2-8GB cards or 1-16GB? Certainly 1 card is more convenient, but is it a bad idea to trust your entire vacation on 1 SD card?

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

I think so. I've not had one fade on me yet (it's early days still), but a single accidental removal of the card while the write light is on = corrupted data and potential camera fits. In that situation, it's nice to know you can stash the corrupted card in your bag until you're somewhere you can relax and take care of recovering the files (i.e., once you're home) and continue trouble-free recording on your another card in the meantime.

So for me the bottom line is that the price differential (2x 8Gb costing less than 1x 16Gb) = not worth it.