Reliable 2 Bay 3.5" Drive Enclosure Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mjgunn, Aug 2, 2016.

1. mjgunn macrumors member

Anyone have recommendations for a reliable 2 bay 3.5" drive enclosure? I've found plenty of possibilities, but pretty much all of them have mixed reviews at best. Just looking for something reliable that won't kill my drives (doesn't seem like asking too much). Bonus points if it's quiet!

2. komatsu macrumors 6502

3. mjgunn thread starter macrumors member

I was under the impression that the ports on something like that was only for adding another USB drive, not connecting to a computer?

4. dimme macrumors 65816

I was looking for the same and like you I found nothing great out there. I also did not want a raid or other propriety controller . The reason being these drives were backups and archived files, so if the box failed It would be hard to rescue the data. I oped for a thunderbolt dock with USB3 ports and just plug in WD my book drives.

5. LorenK macrumors 6502

I recently got a four bay Icydock, which is more than you want, but may be what you need. I have had multiple four bay enclosures from several manufacturers and all have failed. Part of the problem is heat transfer, they just don't keep spin drives cool enough and eventually the enclosure. I am impressed with their four bay, it is a very open enclosure and has a super quiet fan. They also make dual bay enclosures that get decent reviews as well. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ategory=92&Manufactory=8336&SpeTabStoreType=1
    Good luck.

6. komatsu macrumors 6502

Loren, do you know what type of RAID Icydock use?

7. LorenK macrumors 6502

8. komatsu macrumors 6502

So no protection should one of the disks fail?

9. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

10. cube macrumors G5