Reliable audio-cd ripping in Os X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by toke lahti, Jun 13, 2007.

1. toke lahti macrumors 68000

One of the last reasons for me to use windows is this:
    http://www.cdspeed2000.com/download.html#cddae

A simple app that reads audio track from audio-cd twice and then reports the differences accurately with amount of samples.

Anything like that for Os X, or should I buy CrossOver just for that?

2. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Why do you need to do that? For general audio ripping just use iTunes? There's even a LAME plugin for iTunes if you're inclined to use mp3 over AAC.

3. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

With iTunes you never know how well the audio-cd is ripped eg. how many read errors you get.
    Then you just have to listen the whole album if there's any problems and some problems might become audible only after compressing the music to other format.
    I have a friend who works at a radio station, so he has a lot of music, so every now and then I have a chance to rip a lot of music, but in a very short time, so I don't have time to compress and listen all the music that's been ripped.

And btw, Nero Digital Audio+ is much more efficient in quality VBR with mp4 than qt's encoding...

4. esaleris macrumors 6502

5. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

Doesn't look to good for Os X then. If Max is the only one and it haven't been really secure ripper yet, author doesn't fully understand audio-cd format and there has been no development within this year.
    So I'm trying CrossOver next...

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It uses CD Paranoia for ripping CDs...

As far as I am aware that is one of the best CD ripping programs out there.

7. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

Of course Max is best secure ripper for Os X, because it's the only one. Too bad that it isn't really a secure ripper.
    CDparanoia can't be used with drives that have cache and Max's "comparison ripper" reads only one block at a time, so it will get the data from drive's cache, which is of course identical with first read and therefore the second read does not verify the first read at all.

Furthermore there has been no development in Max's extracting within this whole year and the author haven't even read The Red Book to understand what kind of format audio-cd really is.

What I'm lookin for (and what CDDAE for windows, which I gave the link) is just a simple small app, that would read audio one track at a time and repeat that so many times that user defines.
    After that app would tell simply numerically how many samples (88200 samples/second) were different between the reads.
    this kind of simple app would be enough to see if the rip is ok.
    After that there might be lots of complicated methods to rip those tracks that do have errors.
    First time in my life, I feel that I should learn to write code myself; so simple app, many wrote to windows, none to OsX...

Maybe Rubyripper will be good enough...
    AudioCDRescue doesn't seem to be available any more...

8. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

This is getting hilarious; found maybe secure ripper FireStarter FX, but even that it's donationware, it is expired June 2nd, because the author thought that by then there would be a new universal binary available...

We need Nero to Os X!

9. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

10. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

...and the saga continues:
    MissingMediaBurner is missing...
    Track Thief is missing...
    WTF?
    Why all mac kind-of secure rippers have disappeared?

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

cuz most of us just iTunes, and don't really care about that stuff....

12. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

Found xACT that might work.
    How secure it is, remains mystery.
    Documentation is quite non-existent...

13. aliasnexus0 macrumors newbie

Try looking for a Linux/Unix CD application that does what you're looking for. Check out the Fink and DarwinPort repositories. Good luck.

14. Fillado macrumors member

Doesn't the "Use error correction when reading Audio CDs" option in iTunes provide exactly what you are wanting? :confused:

15. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

In a word, no.

He wants precise audio replication which can only be guaranteed to work with specific software written expressly for the purpose.

I still stand by what I said that CD paranoia is one of the best pieces of software for CD replication on any platform. The only thing that Max lacks is CD paranoia's logging facilities.

16. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Hmm, well what exactly is it you do that requires such precision. I've ripped many CD's using iTunes and not once has it ever given me any detectable errors i.e tracks skipping, etc.