Reliable Cheap Web Hosting Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by complexcommunic, Mar 2, 2010.

1. complexcommunic macrumors regular

I need a web hosting service, and I really don't know which way to go. I've used 1&1 in the past, and they are really crap. My website is going to be fairly MySQL heavy, so it's important that it have lots of MySql storage. That's why I've been looking at JustHost and FatCow, which both promise "unlimited MySQL Databases"
    JustHost looks like it's got all the features I want at a good price, but I can't seem to get a straight answer as to weather it's reliable or not. Has anyone had any experience with it?
    Any other thoughts?
    Thanks

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I use JustHost, no complaints.

I had some dns issues with sorbs originally, the web chat/tech support was nice, they fixed it right away for me. :)

3. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I current use A Small Orange to host all of my websites; however, they were just recently bought out by Host Gator.

4. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

I've been using KnownHost for quite a while and have nothing but good things to say about them.

5. complexcommunic thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the feedback.

I think this is a little too small for me... It's really cheap though, I'd probably use that in a flash if it were just a personal site or something.

Has anyone else had any experience with JustHost? That's my top choice at the moment for its price and features.

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

7. complexcommunic thread starter macrumors regular

8. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

JustHost is an "unlimited" host. Now on the surface everything seems great, "unlimited" web hosting for $3.95/month or whatever. But shared web hosting works like this: hundreds of accounts are placed on a server with finite resources (since there is actually no such thing as unlimited). Imagine what type of performance you can expect from 600+ accounts on a server all thinking they can use "unlimited". Plus that $3.45/month applies only if you pay 48 months in advance, which is a huge commitment to a host you have no experience with.

Find yourself a real host, if your website is very MySQL heavy it won't last long on JustHost, their CPU limits would have you suspended faster than you can get your site up. My experience with FatCow has been that they are very very slow, especially when it comes to their panel and file manager.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ is a great place to start when looking for and researching good hosts. If you need the resources, you will have to pay for them, or you will end up with a crappy host.

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

It's not VPS. Maybe this helps: http://www.sharkspace.com/web-hosting.html

From the ad on webhostingtalk:

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

check out webhosting talk That place has a lot of great information/forums.

The issue with many web hosts especially cheap ones, is they over sell the accounts. Giving you more space and bandwidth then what's really available.

The forum there will provide a great list of hosting companies that should fit your needs and budget.

11. complexcommunic thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone else have nay experience with this? I'm particularly interested in anyone who's used JustHost. I've also heard of dot5hosting. Any thoughts?

12. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Oh, yuck. Time to find someone to replace them on my recommended hosts list, then.

13. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

me too. Been with them 7 months now haven't had an issue yet...even during the everybody draw mohammed day event i got around 600 hits that month (400 from Malaysia alone) I pay 12 bucks a month and never encountered any bottlenecks.

14. Edge 540 macrumors newbie

Just Host

I have two small websites on justhost and havent had any complaints. Nothing extremely demanding, but they served me well. Purchased first domain and account for relative's small side business and then purchased a second for myself. I emailed them once and they responded quickly. I also like their control panel interface.

15. CHP macrumors newbie

Based on reviews and post, I think Just Host is a good hosting site even though I never heard of it. They are a lot of Cheap Hosting Sites out you take a look from, just check what services they offer and research a bit on issues they've encountered with the customers.

16. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I've moved away from dot5hosting. The hosting itself was OK, although the last time I had something there they didn't offer IMAP, and their POP mail was pretty lame (users couldn't change their own passwords, for example). Their administration is horrible -- here I mean things like billing, renewals, and so on. Customer service isn't so good.

What didn't you like about 1and1? I've been happy with them, although my sites don't get commercial-level traffic. I'm curious about what happened to you there.

17. Dom Pearson macrumors newbie

18. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I've been using Bluehost for 3 years. Excellent service, no problems, and 24/7 support. Only 6 dollars a month.