Reliable Earphones

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Espo, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Espo macrumors 6502

I am looking for some advice here. I had V-Moda Vibe Duo headphones for about a year now, and I am going on to my fourth replacement because each pair was defective (no sound in 1 earphone). I am getting my replacement, and I complained to the Apple Store, and they will allow me to exchange them, because the package is closed.

So are there any recommendations on the most reliable/best sound quality earphones? I use them all the time (I live in NYC, so blocking out sound is a great benefit), whether it being exercising or just walking to class. I was looking at the Shure SE102MPA ( http://store.apple.com/us/product/TT027ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MjQzMzQ1MQ ) or the Sennheiser MM50 iP (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR530VC/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MjM2OTAwMQ ). I was looking to see if Bose has any earphones, but all they have are large headphones.

Thanks for the help.

2. kes601 macrumors regular

Just curious, have you checked to see if there is lint or anything in the headset plug on the iPhone itself? I had some lint in there that caused the Apple Headset to malfunction (clicker would not work), but all other headsets with a clicker worked fine.

It's possible something is keeping a solid connection from being made.

Just thinking it is highly unlikely for 4 pairs of headphones to all have the same problem.

3. Espo thread starter macrumors 6502

Well two were defective because the sound would come in and out after touching the wire, and then 2 just didnt have sound in one earphones. I know it is very unlikely, and I was trying to think of what I could be doing that could cause these malfunctions, but I can't think. I keep them in the pouch, and I take very good care of them.

I didn't check for link, but if there were, then my other headphones wouldnt work, and they do.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The wires are getting shorted / broken, either at the headphone jack or at the earbud. It's (almost certainly) not lint. It's the bane of my existence too... like you, I tried with my last earphones to keep them very carefully in the pouch whenever not in use, try to be as gentle as possible with the connections, etc. And they just don't last. I guess it's just become a much more visible problem because of how much more often we carry them around because of our iPods and iPhones.

I've heard the Skullcandy ones are better in the durability front... But although I see posts from people saying this one or that one is the best, I really want to see posts from someone who used other earphones, have broken them, and then finally found one that doesn't break for them. If all you've ever had are some $200 earphones you've never broken, that doesn't really tell me they're durable, you know?

5. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Bose does make in-ear earphones, however they're not worth the money.

Ultimate Ears makes some great earbuds.

You said you have been through 4 pairs in a year, I have a question then. How are you removing them from your ears? I ask because if you are simply pulling them out by the wire you could be causing some damage.

6. kes601 macrumors regular

Not necessarily true, as I indicated in my post, I had some lint in there that only affected one pair of headphones, others worked properly.

But, seems like that is not your problem since you had other issues w/the first 2 pairs.

Was just an idea.

7. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

If you want noise cancelation in an earphone, try Etymotic earphones. I do not personally own them, but have heard great things about them and would consider getting them. They have the highest noise cancellation of any earbud and rank very highly on audio websites.

8. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Skullcandy. These are the BEST make of headphones I have ever used. You will not be disappointed. I've got my friends into using them, and at first they may feel odd in your ear, but now they absolutely love Skullcandy!

I'd recommend the 'Full Metal' ones for the iPhone, they're noise canceling (what you want), have the headset function (mic, with the buttons etc found on the stock headset) and have fantastic sound quality! Here in the UK these are around £50, so I'm guessing around $100 dollers over in the US? :confused:

They're worth every penny. :D

Edit: They come with 3 different sized buds, so if they don't seem to fit, switch to the smaller/larger size!

9. Espo thread starter macrumors 6502

In all honesty, I can't really remember how I take them out of my ears. It may possibly be that I am taking them out incorrectly, but I don't really remember.

I have been looking at Skullcandy, simply because they come with a lifetime warranty. So if they do break, i wont have to spend another 100$ after a year like V-moda. I like the VibeDuos because of the cloth-like wires. I hate the Apple stock headphones because the wire is like a cheap rubber (not the mention the non-existent noise cancellation).

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does anyone know, are they really serious about this? Will they be okay with me asking for replacements anytime they short out like all my other earphones? If that's the case, I would definitely get the Full Metal one, too.