Reliable external drive for macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snackeyp, Nov 4, 2007.

1. snackeyp macrumors newbie

I've read some other threads on this topic and it looks like many of you like the OCW drives. But before I order one I'd like to know if any of you are using yours on a macbook pro. The reason I ask is that I bought a Lacie pocket drive awhile back for this purpose and have had endless trouble with it. Sometimes it mounts, sometimes it doesn't. Not exactly the best thing to inspire confidence when using it to store precious data. Since it's a notebook I do not plan to keep this drive plugged in all the time, but rather just when I need to dump something on it or access something on it. Portability is nice, as I work in many different locations and would possibly even travel with it.

Is there something better than the ocw raid drive that would better suit my needs? Also, since my mac's drive is 120gb is there any real reason to buy a drive bigger than 250gb for use with time machine? What do you think?

Thanks

2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i bought a 320GB extrenal a couple days ago.. and i barely have 100GB left. time machine is EATING AWAY AT MY FREE GB. i think im gonna have to turn off auto backup b/c when i start collecting movies/music/etc, i will have no where to put it b/c the backups have taken all the memory