Reliable external drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eyebeaz, Apr 21, 2007.

1. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

Does anyone have any good recommendations for an external USB 2.0 hard drive that costs anywhere under $100? I just basically need it to back up my hard drive which is only 60 GB, but perhaps something with a little more storage than that would be nice. Right now I have an Acomdata, but I hear they are quite unreliable so I am getting rid of it. Any recommendations are appreciated, thanks!

2. justG macrumors member

justG

The Western Digital MyBook Premium line is excellent. Any size but the 1TB (2x500GB, got mediocre reviews) would be fine. I'm not sure if they have one in your price range, but for a little more ($129ish) you'd get a quality drive of a goodish (250 giggish) size.

Hope that helps.

3. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

I would definitely go for any Seagate drive (5 year warranty) then grab a USB enclosure and marry the two.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I've had a great experience so far with my LaCie drive. Almost 2 years old without a single hiccup. I would highly recommend it to anyone that asked.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

definitely one of the best options.
    check newegg for drives and enclosures or other world computing.

6. DrRock macrumors regular

^

I just picked up a 750gb Seagate tonight for around $350. I already have a 250gb Seagate, and I've been happy with it so far. I hope a TB of space will be enough from now on.

7. Apple Architect macrumors regular

iomega

Don't by the mini sized iomega. Sounds like a fighter jet taking off (just a little louder).

8. intendedaccel macrumors member

Another vote for seagate. By far the most reliable of the drives I've used.