Reliable external hard drive: Best brand?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DonnaMarilyn, Nov 20, 2010.

1. DonnaMarilyn macrumors newbie

Hi folks, hoping you can advise.

I have an iMac, and now need a good, reliable external hard drive, mainly for my music, photos, and videos.

I’ve looked at a few reviews/recommendations online, and the consensus seems to be to go for:
    - USB + Firewire + eSATA capability
    - Biggest capacity that one can afford, but 1-2 times smaller than largest
    available, since this will be the price ‘sweet’ spot
    - 3.5”
    - Best warranty

Can anyone recommend a particular brand you’ve found to be reliable?
    A colleague mentioned LaCie, but online reviews haven’t been overly positive.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks! :)

Donna

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. DonnaMarilyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Hellhammer. I'll check out that link.

I take your point about reliability. I simply mean not being problematic within the first few months, as was the case involving an external HD I once had for a Dell. ;)

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I have a 1TB Lacie d2 Quadra, with all of those ports. It's great, though it can get a bit loud sometimes.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

6. DonnaMarilyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Cougarcat. That LaCie sounds good (just been reading up about it). You mention yours gets noisy sometimes. I note a few people have commented on its quiet running (which would be a factor me).

Thanks for the link, cluthz. Will read through it now.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just get the one that has the best warranty. No platter-based drive is more reliable than any other.

8. DonnaMarilyn, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

DonnaMarilyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, miles01110. In fact, I'm off to the shops shortly to pick up a LaCie d2 1T Quadra Hard Disk. It has a 3-year warranty. ;) And because I can buy it locally (as opposed to a couple of the other brands), if there's a problem at least I can go back to that shop.

I spent a good hour or two earlier checking out the links above, as well as doing more research on LaCie. I read dozens and dozens of reviews, and while there were plenty of negative ones - as I noted for other brands as well - there were enough positive comments to help me decide. In particular, a number of photographers spoke highly of their LaCies. This struck a chord with me, as I'll be using my external HD mainly for photography, slideshows, and music. Several people also mentioned how quiet it was. (And on the basis of some of the negative reviews, I'll be sure to make regular back-ups.)

So, wish me luck. ;)

A big thanks for the excellent responses to my original question. They helped me to make a better-informed decision.

Donna