Reliable, low cost replacement batteries?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techmonkey, Mar 6, 2012.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Does anyone recommend a good replacement battery for a reputable 3rd party, I dont want to spend $120 from Apple.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There are no reputable third-party batteries. Batteries should only be purchased from Apple.

3. /user/me macrumors 6502

Well, you could buy a 40 dollar china battery, and then buy a replacement computer in 3 months, but that's your decision :).

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

1k plus on a laptop and now $120 to make it work is too much? You sometimes get what you pay for

5. iforbes macrumors 6502

It does beg the question of why, exactly, there are no reputable 3rd party batteries?

There is 3rd party RAM, HDD, SSD, cases, etc...but no batteries?!?

I'd be willing to bet that the battery installed at the factory is a $40 (or less) "china battery".

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Because RAM, drives, etc are pretty much industry standard across platforms that use a similar chipset design, whereas batteries are device specific.

And you're right, while the battery is probably $40 (or less!) from the factory, it's also made to Apple's design specs. Apples machines are made in China predominately, but they're designed here.

7. /user/me macrumors 6502

By China battery, I was referring to the huge market for knockoff goods that exists there... Even though everything's made in china, something made by a knockoff company that's not up to Apple's specs could be quite harmful for your computer...

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple's implementation of charging technology, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the logic board, has not been licensed to any 3rd party manufacturers. As such, any non-Apple batteries are "knockoffs" and are not guaranteed to be fully compatible with Apple's charging technology. I would never trust or recommend a battery that didn't come from Apple.

By contrast, Apple doesn't make any RAM, HDD or SSD. Those components in Apple computers are all made by other manufacturers.

9. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I wish Apple batteries were reliable. Mine only has about 180 cycles and it wont hold a charge for more than 40 minutes. About Mac states I need to service it. Battery conditioning didn't help.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you taken it to Apple to have them check it for defects?

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what did apple say?

some battery documents say your should get 300 cycles and still have 80% battery life

12. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, this battery was replaced under AppleCare about 2 years ago. Im no longer under AppleCare so I doubt they will do anything.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

damn your fast you always beat me by a minute, I thought you were old, you move fast for an old person ;)

----------

you wont know unless you ask

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have my moments! :D

15. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

I can't help but feel in a similar position.

I'm on the fence about replacing my macbook's battery.

On one hand i'd it's really not that much money in the long run, but i'm a competent technician, in any other case i'd pay for just parts because i can do the service myself.

So yeah, if i can reliably get a replacement thats guaranteed to work without having to pay the full price of apple service, i'd do it.

Strangely iFixit's authentic apple batteries are nearly as expensive as getting it serviced, which means i may as well just take the damn thing in.

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

A friend of mine bought into the eBay/china batteries scheme on his older MBP with easily replacable batttery. The batteries last about 4-6 months until they barely hold a charge. There is no such thing as a cheap and reliable 3rd party battery for Macs.

17. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

I recently (1 month ago) installed a fastmac true power battery, fits good but not as good as genuine protrudes about .5 mm It's good for 5.5 hrs, and under heavy use around 3.5, I found a deal on ebay for 26.95 delivered, probably no more available at that price, so I am happy with the product they offer, not sure I would justify purchasing at retail of $100, probably OEM is the best bet for that price.

18. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Pretty much. And by directly from Apple, directly from Apple.

A lot of "genuine" Apple batteries on eBay are fake. I had a "genuine" Apple Macbook battery that I ordered on eBay that upon closer inspection used the wrong font.

And who the hell knows how long the MB/MBP have been sitting on the shelves at Best Buy or Fry's.

It's a 2 year old battery. This isn't abnormal.

19. Pinkie Pie, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

Pinkie Pie macrumors regular

I bought a battery from BattPros.com a year and a half ago for ~$70. It's still got 90% of its charge after 254 cycles, isn't bulging, hasn't set anything on fire and when I brought my MB in to be serviced, no one noticed or cared that it was third party. It's not a $30 eBay battery but it was still a great bargain.

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I value my Macs far too much, to use anything but an OEM battery.

If I couldn't afford doing it right, I'd have bought a cheap laptop.