Reliable Printer advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by abz1981, Nov 7, 2011.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

HI all
    I currently have a HP B110 Photosmart printer. Its multifunction printer and is giving me a headache now.

At first it used to work great and having AirPrint used to be a good feature too when i used it once in a blue moon.

However now it either prints or it won't print, or it will start or it won't start. I am in warranty. I did buy it for about £34 which is about $54, and I have had to call up HP support a few times, who solved the issue, but then issue occurred again.

Now I am in a position of either calling up HP to try and deal with the issue again or simply buy a new printer.

I am kinda more leaning towards a new printer, as feel my HP printer goes through too much ink.

So I guess I am asking for advice really If I go for a new printer, what do people recommend.

I do need to occasionally scan documents, so will need a scanner facility, so guess multifunctional would be the ideal choice, and once thats good on ink too.

Also if ink needs to be replaced, then one thats not too costly.

What do people suggest?

2. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

If you have room and don't mind having a separate printer from scanner, I highly recommend a cheap black and white laser if you don't need to print color.

I have purchased cheap brother laser printers for home and a couple for my office for around $60. Ink refills are expensive at around $55 but the cartridges print around 2000 pages.

3. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

laser printers are the best on ink. their toners last for a while, but you will need to get a separate scanner.

you might wanna try and call HP and tell them that you would like a new printer now because this POS is giving you too many problems.. who knows they might give you something [like a discount on the next printer or something..
    hassle with HP to see if you can get any deals or so, but only if you have free time and are willing to do so.

4. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I have been using an HP LaserJet 1536dnf MFP. It prints, scans, xeroxes, and faxes. It works greatly for me. They also make multi-functional color printers. The printers made by Fuji Xerox are also pretty good.

5. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

hey
    thanks all for your advice. it seems to be working now. it has a mind of its own i swear lol. its all working now as normal. :)

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm glad to hear it's working again but if it ever craps out again I can recommend Bother laser printers and Brother all in one laser printers. I haven't touched their inkjets so I just don't know. I can also vote against HP inkject printers which print well enough (if the ink bottles haven't dried) but HP inkjets have incredibly bad software. My son has one of those Kodak inkjets and he hasn't complained. I have heard you should avoid Lexmark if at all possible, but I don't have any personal experience with one.

7. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey thanks r0k I may just do that. Seems like I am not the only one suffering from this particular HP model printer. Simple google search shows a lot of people with same similar issues. My previous printer was a cannon pixma, never had any problems until the printer head went on me, and I realised it would cost more to replace the printer head than the printer itself.

8. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

HI all
    I feel like throwing my printer in the trash. :( still giving me off and off problems. I have decided to look at this printer now the: SAMSUNG CLP-325W Wireless Colour Laser Printer.

From the reviews I have read on the internet seem good, ok it don't have a scanner, but I think i can do without one. However what do people think of Samsung printers and if they are Mac friendly and running costs etc?

9. RonsMac macrumors newbie

I have a Samsung ML 2525. Was on sale at Fry's for $50. The toner is $70. Machine works great and have gone through a couple of toners with no problems from the printer. Doesn't do envelopes well though.
    Just make sure you figure in a set of toners for the initial purchase because the included ones will last maybe a week.