Reliable replacement for 2009 17inch MBP battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fessen, Jan 9, 2014.

1. fessen macrumors member

I need to replace the battery for my early 2009 17inch unibody MBP.
    I don't see it listed on the Apple store website, and the OEM product is not listed at Amazon.

There are a few very negative reviews online of replacement batteries that users tried to use as substitutes.

Has anyone had any good experience with a replacement battery for this model? Which brand and where did you get it?

Also, how much do Apple Stores generally charge to replace this battery (parts and labor) if I am forced to go that route?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or charger, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Also, there is no assurance that non-Apple components will have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. Apple has not licensed its MagSafe adapter technology to any 3rd party. It's not worth risking your Mac to save a small amount of money.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. fessen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, GGJStudios, but I am aware of Apple's official recommendations.

I did notice the replacement price quoted in your link on the Apple website.

Still wondering though whether others have had any success with alternative replacements options.
    This computer is already way out of warranty and its resale value has depreciated, so the amount that might be saved is not inconsequential.
    (I just purchased a new lower-powered non-Mac laptop on Amazon yesterday for less than what one old MBP battery replacement might cost according to the info at that link.)

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Recently replaced the battery in my mid-2009 13". It was about $200 after labor. Should be about the same unless they charge more for the higher wattage.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

6. fessen thread starter macrumors member

For anyone facing a similar situation:

I ended up buying a replacement from LaptopBatteryExpress.com for $120 including ground shipping. I see that they are now advertising the same one for $110 (grrr!).

It took about 5 minutes for me to install it. You need a triwing screwdriver for some of the internal screws (you can find them online for about $5).

The battery shows in System>Profiler as
    13044 mAh full charge capacity
    8.15V voltage
    0 mA amperage (not sure why)

The battery weighed 15 ounces including its plastic wrapper on receipt.

So far it seems to be working fine, after using it for 2 - 3 weeks. The main benefit is that I no longer lose all data whenever the AC cord accidentally slips loose and I no longer have to keep resetting the clock and calendar every time I reboot.

I can't say how closely it compares to the original in terms of battery run times before needing to recharge because I usually didn't run on battery power alone with the original. The times I did run on battery power, it never lasted anywhere near Apple-advertised run times. The replacement also runs down fast, maybe a bit faster than the original.