Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeb71

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
UK
Hi all,

Over the past 12 months I've had BT Whole Home mesh network and more recently Netgear's Orbi and had issues with both of them dropping connections / rebooting, so I'm after suggestions of what I should try next?
I have a lot of wireless devices including Nest cameras (indoor and outdoor), the outdoor one's have been very problematic with the various routers I've had due to them not being able to pick up the router's signal.
But basically I need something that has a good range so that the outdoor cameras can connect and also isn't prone to keep rebooting on a regular basis as I work from home and need something that stays connected.

Thanks in advance. :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't think a "single" (standalone) router is going to get the job done.

If mesh "won't do it" (I sense the problem is not so much with the mesh system itself but something with the cameras or how they connect), perhaps one of the Ubiquiti wireless access points?

mikeb71

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
UK
I don't think a "single" (standalone) router is going to get the job done.

If mesh "won't do it" (I sense the problem is not so much with the mesh system itself but something with the cameras or how they connect), perhaps one of the Ubiquiti wireless access points?

The BT Whole Home setup was a 4 piece set up and the Orbi is the main router plus 2 satellites. Everything worked in both cases but neither have been reliable and would regularly reboot.
When I say the the cameras had been problematic I meant with my original Virgin Media router (which aren't exactly highly regarded). The cameras will connect with both BT Whole Home and Orbi, but both set ups would randomly fail after a while, not just with the cameras but with everything and neither can be accessed via their respective apps while this is happening, with Orbi being the worst as it would take around 30 minutes before it would be accessible again each time it goes down.
I don't mind whether I buy a different mesh network, or a decent stand-alone router or combination of router and extenders, but I need some guidance on what people are using that have been reliable if possible.
[doublepost=1539616008][/doublepost]
perhaps one of the Ubiquiti wireless access points?

Do you have any experience with these??

icrash

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2006
Do you have any experience with these??

I had the Linksys Velop 3 Node System (House with ca. 140 square meter, basement, ground-floor, 1st. and 2nd. floor, all with concrete ceilings and walls and a garden with around 120 square meter) and had the same problems you described with reliability, had to reboot every second day latest, Parental Controls not working, etc. ... then I bought three Ubiquiti devices Unifi AP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-Mesh (can be used indoor and outdoor) UAP-AC-LR and the USG Router...all configured to work as a mesh wireless network....since then never had any issues...

Reactions: mikeb71
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.