Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gtr65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Hello,

I tried to purchase an app yesterday and couldn't because it required iOS 7.1 or later. I'm running 7.02 and have never had any issues. From the reviews I've read from several sources, it seems as if every subsequent version has had bugs and causes problems like excessive battery drain, etc.

Can anyone please recommend a decent version to go with? (I'd like to stay with 7.X/7.X.X.)

Thanks very much!

dcharleyultra

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2013
You can no longer update to iOS 7 because it is no longer being signed for the iPad 4. You would have to update to iOS 8.1.

Gtr65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
You can no longer update to iOS 7 because it is no longer being signed for the iPad 4. You would have to update to iOS 8.1.
True, but I've come across a couple sites that have all past iOS versions archived and (I'm assuming) I can download the update to my iPad from my Mac.

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
True, but I've come across a couple sites that have all past iOS versions archived and (I'm assuming) I can download the update to my iPad from my Mac.

Apple will not allow you to install the old iOS versions as they are signed by their servers. It is impossible to install any old iOS version on modern devices.

Also, iOS 7.0.2 has the very serious SSL vulnerability. Why not upgrade and make your phone secure?

Gtr65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Apple will not allow you to install the old iOS versions as they are signed by their servers. It is impossible to install any old iOS version on modern devices.

Also, iOS 7.0.2 has the very serious SSL vulnerability. Why not upgrade and make your phone secure?
Thanks for letting me know this. I guess my question becomes, is there as of yet a good 8.X version? From what I've read, there are still bugs to be fixed AND it uses up 1.8 GB of memory.

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
Thanks for letting me know this. I guess my question becomes, is there as of yet a good 8.X version? From what I've read, there are still bugs to be fixed AND it uses up 1.8 GB of memory.

For me, the current iOS 8.1 is very good on my 5 and Air 2

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
8.1 on the iPad 4 works very well. There hasn't been one time I thought I should have stayed on 7.x.

Gtr65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
I agree. I like the iOS 8 features and find that 8.1 works as well as 7.1.2 did on the iPad 4.
Wow. Thanks---I guess I'm gonna go for 8.1 when I get home tonight. I just never thought this would be the recommended way to go. When you Google "iOS 8.1 stability," the first thing that pops up is "5 Reasons NOT to Upgrade to 8.1"----then if you scroll down you see other cautionary info.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Wow. Thanks---I guess I'm gonna go for 8.1 when I get home tonight. I just never thought this would be the recommended way to go. When you Google "iOS 8.1 stability," the first thing that pops up is "5 Reasons NOT to Upgrade to 8.1"----then if you scroll down you see other cautionary info.

As with everything else on forums and the internet, remember that most people who don't have issues with something tend not to bother to go online to report that everything works fine.
If nothing else, the major security vulnerabilities that have been patched since iOS 7.0.2 make the upgrade a must, in my mind.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Google can sometimes be the bathroom wall of information. That's why we all come to MR for trusty information instead :D

Gtr65

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
UPDATE: I upgraded to 8.1 through iTunes on my Mac this evening and all went well without a hitch. So far, so good.

Thanks to everyone who replied today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.