Reliable web host for community photo gallery?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by p0intblank, Jun 11, 2009.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I am in the process of relaunching a community photo gallery where users are encouraged to upload and share their photos with everyone. My first attempt at the site saw more downtime than I expected and that's when I was with hostgator.com. The site got a good amount of views, hence the downtime. Apparently the web host couldn't keep up with it.

I'm planning to use Gallery 3, which is part of Fantastico. Does anyone know of a good reliable host that can support a busy site like this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Well HostGator over sells, that's why when you got some traffic they gave you down time. You get what you pay for.

If you're getting that much traffic, try the MediaTemple DV:
    http://mediatemple.net/webhosting/dv/

3. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

$50/month is stretching it for me. I don't mind spending a little money here and there, but do you have something that costs less? I'm not looking for insanely cheap, but something reasonable. I appreciate your suggestion, though.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I use DreamHost for my hosting and its been good. They currently have a deal going on, just $9.24 for the first year. It's a $100 savings. Today is the last day of the sale so you'll need to check it out quick.