reliable white imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gooser, Jun 1, 2014.

1. gooser macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2013
    were there any white intel imacs that didn't have widespread reliability problems? preferably a 17" or maybe a 20". thanks.
  2. Gloops macrumors member

Mar 3, 2009
    My 20" 2006 iMac is still going strong (first intel generation - core duo with ATI Radeon X1600).
  3. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2013
    Had several late 2006 imacs here (mine and others) that were all rock solid, EXCEPT! the Optical drive on almost every one. I'll say, the machine cannot be judged by that 1 item. It was a plague on every iMac made with a "Cheaper Drive"
  4. Habberkuk macrumors member

Mar 2, 2013
    Under your bed...
    Well ... the highschool where my mother teahes bought a hole bunch of those when they were new. Maybe something like 25. I know that some of them had the graphics poblem with the ATI X1600. Maybe 5 out of the 25. I bought one of them and it's going strong. It's just a little bit slow compared to my MacBook Air...
    I do think that they were known to have some issues with the GPU (correct me if I'm wrong).
    By the way, all of the iMacs were 17"!
  5. bananaquit macrumors member

Jan 27, 2007
    Purely anecdotal of course, but my 2006 20” iMac (same as Gloops) is still running strong. No issues here.
  6. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2012
    B'more or Less
    My 2005 PPC iMac still runs although I don't use it now. It did have the blown capacitor problem but Apple replaced the logic board & power supply even though it was out of warranty.

My parents have a 2006 Intel Core Duo iMac which they still use every day with Snow Leopard. It had the vertical lines screen problem but Apple repaired it --4 years after it's purchase.

A friend of mine still uses a 2007 Core2Duo, I upgraded the RAM and the OS to Snow Leopard for her 2 years ago and it's running great.

She also had another identical 2007 iMac in the original packaging, never opened and set up, AND a sweet little white 2007 Mac Mini ---also in its original packaging and never removed ----which she handed off to me last week to set up for her with SL & more RAM etc.

Unfortunately the iMac doesn't boot up --just the white light, so we'll deal with it a little later, in the meantime I pried open the Mini to replace the RAM, etc. and it's all ready to go now. Even though both models are "brand new" from 2007 it was really thrilling to unbox them. :cool:

I love my more recent 2011 iMac but the white models have a big place in my heart. I wish my new aluminum iMac "breathed" when it sleeps.
  7. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2013
    from what i've read here it seems to be hit or miss with any of them. thanks all.
  8. NintendoRev macrumors member

Jul 1, 2013
    I've got a late 2006 that's still going strong, no problems at all, aside from having to reseat the ram once.
  9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Feb 20, 2009
    My late 2006/early 2007 white Intel 24" iMac is still running fine.

However, unless you are REALLY pressed for cash, I probably wouldn't buy a used one now.

Get something newer instead.
    Or -- consider a "late model" Mac Mini and a non-Apple display of your choice...
  10. markfc macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2006
    Prestatyn, Wales, UK
    Mine is still rock solid too but the DVD drive doesn't eject disks anymore.
  11. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

Apr 10, 2012
    My 17" CD iMac has a dead display. It started getting horizontal lines of coloured pixels back in 2010. External monitors still work fine though.